Pursuing a Master's in Physics After an Architecture Degree

In summary, to pursue a master's degree in physics, you need to have completed undergraduate courses in core topics like classical mechanics, statistical mechanics and thermodynamics, electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, and mathematical methods for physicists, and ideally you would also have taken a senior level introductory course in the sub-field you want to specialize in. It is unlikely that graduates from architecture programs have covered all or even a substantial portion of that material, so you may have to go back and fill in the necessary courses. Programs can offer some leeway for exceptional students, but in most cases there are only a fixed number of positions and the queue of applicants is full of exceptional students.
lucija_z
hi, is it possible after a bachelor's degree in architecture to pursue a master's degree in physics and how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Possible? Sure.

But not without a whole lot of work.

A lot depends on the details of your undergraduate degree, which courses you've taken as options, and how flexible the program is that you're applying to. But as a general rule, you need the equivalent of an undergraduate degree in physics. This means that you need to have completed senior undergraduate courses in core topics like classical mechanics, statistical mechanics and thermodynamics, electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, and mathematical methods for physicists. Ideally you would also have taken a senior level introductory course in the sub-field you want to specialize in, if it's available.

I don't know the details of an architecture degree at your school, but I suspect it's unlikely for graduates to have covered all or even a substantial portion of that material. What that means is that you would likely have to go back and fill in the necessary courses. Programs can offer some leeway for exceptional students, but in most cases there are only a fixed number of positions and the queue of applicants is full of exceptional students who all have the necessary coursework.

Likes DeBangis21
Are you ready to graduate or are you still a year or so away? Perhaps it would be worthwhile to take a course in mechanics or electricity and magnetism to see if you can handle them.

Likes CalcNerd
Architecture varies a lot. Some programs are more like civil engineering and some are more like art,

In the US, there is a path. It's called "full pay" - you enroll in a MS program and take the BS physics classes that you are missing. The problem is that you will end up paying the full cost of tuition and fees, which will be very expensive.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
It probably also makes a difference which country you received your architecture degree in, and where you want to go for your master's, because of differences in academic climates and bureaucracies. I mention this because your username suggests that you might not be in the US. On this forum, people tend to give US-centric advice if they don't see anything that points elsewhere.

Here's another currently ongoing discussion about a similar question.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-get-into-a-physics-graduate-program.1048807/

It seems to assume the questioner is in the US.

Last edited:
Nothing is guaranteed about your acceptance either. I had over a 1300 on my GRE and above a 3.6 GPA and I wasn't accepted in a handful of graduate programs. So, choose your school wisely.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a Master's in Physics after an Architecture degree?

Pursuing a Master's in Physics after an Architecture degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, research, and academia. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the mathematics and principles behind architectural design, making you a more well-rounded and versatile professional.

2. Will my background in Architecture be beneficial in a Master's in Physics program?

Absolutely! Your background in Architecture will provide you with a strong foundation in spatial reasoning, design thinking, and problem-solving skills, which are all valuable assets in the field of Physics. Additionally, your experience in working with complex systems and structures will give you an advantage in understanding the physical world.

3. What are the potential challenges of transitioning from Architecture to Physics?

One of the main challenges of transitioning from Architecture to Physics is the difference in the required skill set. While Architecture focuses more on creativity and design, Physics requires a strong grasp of mathematical concepts and scientific principles. It may also take some time to adjust to the different teaching and learning methods used in a Physics program.

4. Can I pursue a Master's in Physics without a background in Science or Mathematics?

While having a background in Science or Mathematics can be helpful, it is not always necessary to pursue a Master's in Physics. Many programs offer introductory courses to help students without a strong foundation in these subjects catch up. It is important to have a strong interest and determination to learn in order to succeed in a Physics program.

5. What can I do with a Master's in Physics after an Architecture degree?

A Master's in Physics can open up various career opportunities, such as working as a research scientist in a laboratory, teaching at the university level, or pursuing a career in engineering or technology. You can also apply your knowledge and skills to the field of Architecture, working on projects that require a deeper understanding of the physical world.