Pursuing a PhD at a small or new program

• Programs
  • Thread starter pm272
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Program
In summary: So, if you want to have a bigger impact, then go to a small program. It's a tradeoff, but it's worth considering.Since you are probably doomed whatever you do, there's no point changing paths.
pm272
Hi.

Here is my story: I received my engineering BS and MS from universities that are both highly ranked. After working in industry for 1-2 years I am back in school pursuing my PhD. The program I am currently at is not well known and has only just started a PhD program. The lab is well funded and my advisor is well published and known in the field. I am also funded.

My reason for pursuing a PhD is to teach at a four-year university once I am finished. My concern however is that when I look around at any school anywhere, I find that the faculty are never from universities that are unknown. It just seems like the chances of me eventually getting a job at a university are so slim becasue of this reason.

Any recommendations? Should I continue here or go back to a better known university? I also need to consider that my partner is one of the reasons I came here and that there may be a couple year setback.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

PM

Physics news on Phys.org
pm272 said:
I find that the faculty are never from universities that are unknown.

There are ~160 universities in the US that offer a PhD in physics. None of them are unknown. So I am not sure what that proves.

The highest ranked schools are also the biggest - this is a function of how the ranking is done - so of course they are well represented among people who get permanent jobs. And people who don't.

pm272 said:
My reason for pursuing a PhD is to teach at a four-year university once I am finished.

You should rethink your reasons, then. It's pretty straightforward to get an adjunct position at a two year college. Difficult to get a permanent positions at a four year university.

My concern however is that when I look around at any school anywhere, I find that the faculty are never from universities that are unknown.

There are huge selection effects:

1) The known universities are larger and therefore more faculty come from them.

2) That selection effect is enhanced by the fact that new programs hire teachers from old programs. Take my dissertation adviser. He was a Harvard post-doc, but he got hired as a junior professor in my mid-western department, because in the early-1970's. There *were* no other schools. So what happens is that you see a lot of faculty from Harvard/Princeton because back in the early-1970's when universities were building up programs, those were the only game in town. Once those programs started cranking out Ph.D.'s you end up with a glut of people.

3) Also, it works in the other direction. There is something of a "Harvard mafia" in astrophysics, but because you have so many Harvard/Princeton alumni working in universities, your advisers friends from Harvard become your friends from Harvard.

It just seems like the chances of me eventually getting a job at a university are so slim because of this reason.

You chances of getting a job at a university are slim, but not because of this reason. You are doomed. Realizing that you are doomed is sometimes a good thing.

Any recommendations? Should I continue here or go back to a better known university?

Since you are probably doomed whatever you do, there's no point changing paths.

Also, you have a huge opportunity here. If you go to a big program, then you have less impact on how the program runs. If you are the first student that graduates from X University, then you *are* the program. You have a chance to make your program a big name.

Moving to a big name program, might be like giving up a spot as one of the first employees of Google or Apple or Microsoft to get a job at Digital or Sperry-Univac. After all, in 1996, who ever heard of Google. Better give up on this no name company and work for someone that everyone has heard of, like Digital Research.

What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD at a small or new program?

There are several potential benefits to pursuing a PhD at a small or new program. These include smaller class sizes and more personalized attention from faculty, a close-knit and supportive academic community, and the opportunity to shape and contribute to the growth of the program.

What challenges might I face in a small or new PhD program?

Some potential challenges of pursuing a PhD at a small or new program include limited resources and funding, fewer specialized courses and research opportunities, and potential lack of recognition or prestige compared to larger and more established programs.

How can I determine if a small or new PhD program is the right fit for me?

To determine if a small or new PhD program is the right fit for you, it is important to thoroughly research the program and its faculty, speak with current or former students, and visit the campus if possible. Additionally, consider your academic and career goals and whether the program aligns with them.

Is it harder to find job opportunities with a PhD from a small or new program?

While larger and more established programs may have a stronger reputation and network, job opportunities for PhD graduates ultimately depend on the quality of their research and publications, as well as their skills and experience. Therefore, a PhD from a small or new program can still lead to successful job opportunities if the graduate has strong qualifications.

What should I consider when deciding between a small or new PhD program and a larger, more established one?

When deciding between a small or new PhD program and a larger, more established one, consider factors such as the program's faculty and research opportunities, funding and resources, academic and career goals, and overall fit and personal preferences. It is important to carefully weigh these factors and choose the program that best aligns with your needs and goals.