Pushforward/Pullback of Vector Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for the pushforward and its relation to other equations. The formula is used to evaluate a point in a specific context and there are various ways to write it. The correctness of a specific equation is also confirmed.
knowwhatyoudontknow
TL;DR Summary
Pushforward of vector field.
I am looking at the following document. In section 2.3 they have the formula for the pushforward:

f*(X) := Tf o X o f-1

I am having trouble trying to reconcile this with the more familiar equation:

f*(X)(g ) = X(g o f)

Any help would be appreciated.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
OK. Thanks. If I have γ(t) = exp(tv) so that γ(0) = p and γ'(0) = v and Lg is a left action then is the following correct?

Lg*γ'(0) = (Lg o γ(t))'(0)

= d/dt|t=0Lg(γ(t))

= dLg/dt|t=0.v

= gv

In other words dLg/dt|t=0 ≡ g

Likes dx
knowwhatyoudontknow said:
OK. Thanks. If I have γ(t) = exp(tv) so that γ(0) = p and γ'(0) = v and Lg is a left action then is the following correct?

Lg*γ'(0) = (Lg o γ(t))'(0)

= d/dt|t=0Lg(γ(t))

= dLg/dt|t=0.v

= gv

In other words dLg/dt|t=0 ≡ g
Looks ok to me.

Great. Thanks.

1. What is the pushforward of a vector field?

The pushforward of a vector field is a way of transforming a vector field from one space to another. It is a mathematical operation that takes a vector field defined on one manifold and maps it to a vector field on another manifold.

2. How is the pushforward of a vector field calculated?

The pushforward of a vector field is calculated using the differential of a smooth map between the two manifolds. This differential is a linear map that takes tangent vectors from one manifold to tangent vectors on the other manifold, and this is what transforms the vector field.

3. What is the pullback of a vector field?

The pullback of a vector field is the inverse operation of the pushforward. It takes a vector field on one manifold and maps it to a vector field on another manifold. It is also known as the covariant derivative or the pushforward of a vector field.

4. How is the pullback of a vector field related to the pushforward?

The pullback of a vector field is the inverse operation of the pushforward. This means that if we apply the pushforward to a vector field and then apply the pullback, we will get back the original vector field. In other words, the pullback "undoes" the transformation done by the pushforward.

5. What are the applications of pushforward and pullback of vector fields?

The pushforward and pullback of vector fields are important tools in differential geometry and have applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to transform vector fields in different coordinate systems, which is essential in understanding the behavior of physical systems and creating accurate simulations.