Putting chloroplasts into animal cells?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of putting chloroplasts into animal cells and what the potential outcomes could be. Some suggested reading on the topic is provided, and the possibility of using artificial chloroplasts in animal cells is also mentioned. The mention of Melvin Calvin and his research on this topic is also brought up.
whiteholes
have anyone of you ever thought of putting chloroplasts into animal cells? What would happen if i did?

Biology news on Phys.org
Umm, Swamp Thing ? :rofl:

white holes said:
have anyone of you ever thought of putting chloroplasts into animal cells? What would happen if i did?

Some reading for your topic:

The Cell Biology of Plant-Animal Symbiosis

http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.pp.30.060179.002413

Protists would happen. Or more specifically certain species of protists, that I cannot name, that 'hunt' for light.

Last edited:
More interesting if you could put artificial chloroplasts into animal cell. Melvin Calvin (of Calvin cycle fame) was working on this line of research of artificial chloroplasts when I heard him give a lecture ~ 20 years ago, does anyone know outcome of research ?

1. Can chloroplasts be successfully inserted into animal cells?

Yes, recent studies have shown that it is possible to insert chloroplasts into animal cells using specialized techniques.

2. What is the purpose of putting chloroplasts into animal cells?

The purpose of this process is to enable animal cells to produce their own energy through photosynthesis, similar to how plants use chloroplasts to convert sunlight into energy.

3. What are the potential benefits of incorporating chloroplasts into animal cells?

The potential benefits include increased energy production and self-sufficiency for the animal cells, as well as potential applications in medicine and biotechnology.

4. Are there any risks associated with putting chloroplasts into animal cells?

There are potential risks such as disrupting the normal functioning of animal cells or causing unintended effects on the organism's metabolism. More research is needed to fully understand these risks.

5. How can chloroplasts be successfully delivered into animal cells?

There are various techniques being explored, including using viruses or liposomes to deliver chloroplasts into animal cells. Further research is needed to determine the most effective and safe method.