Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Q]Different interpretation of same wavefucntion.

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1

Is it possible that same wavefuction described by math can be interpreted to different

For instance, Some wrote wave function as same as momentum eigenstate which is

But he seemed claim that it is not momentum eigenstate even mathmetical formula is same

And he assumed it is in superposition of all momentum eigenstate in oder to find probability which eigenstate is chosen after momentum measurement

Is it possible? I know if current state is momentum eigenstate and we measure momemtum,

we must get same momentum as same as eigenvalue of that eigenstate and measurement

can not change current state.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2
    Hm, could you post the exact argument given by this person? I agree, if it is a momentum eigenstate, measurement of momentum should give the exact eigenvalue...
  4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    I usually try to think of the wave function as the math that leads to the position space probability density function psi^2. I can think in spacial coordinates very well, so I think of psi^2 as the fundamental thing while I treat the underlying stuff as crazy math. I'm sure I'm missing something with this viewpoint, but that's how I visualize a wave function.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?