1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Q]Time deviation of expectation value

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    Hi,

You know famous equation, [itex] \frac{d<A>}{dt} = <\frac{i}{\hbar}[\hat{H},\hat{A}] + \frac{\partial\hat{H}}{\partial t} >[/itex]

But liboff said if [itex] \frac{\partial \hat{A} }{\partial t} = 0 [/itex] then, [itex] \frac{d<\hat{A}>}{dt} = 0 [/itex]

this is the proof

[itex] \frac{d<A>}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar}<\varphi_{n}|[\hat{H},\hat{A}]\varphi_{n}> = \frac{i}{\hbar}<\varphi_{n}|(\hat{H}\hat{A}-\hat{A}\hat{H})\varphi_{n}> [/itex]
    [itex]=\frac{i}{\hbar}(<\hat{H}\varphi_{n}|\hat{A}\varphi_{n}> - <\varphi|\hat{A}\hat{H}\varphi_{n}>) [/itex]
    [itex] \frac{i}{\hbar}E_{n}(<\varphi_{n}|\hat{A}\varphi_{n}> - <\varphi_{n}|\hat{A}\varphi_{n}>) = 0 [/itex]

If it is right, we can conclude time deviation of expectation value of certain operator is zero if and only if corresponding operator is not depending on time, no matter what value of [H,A]
    is!

is it right? i can't accept this theorm.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2
    This theorem is only valid for eigenstates of H. d<A>/dt is generally nonzero for non-stationary states unless A commutes with H.

4. Nov 14, 2008 #3
    The state vector is a function of time in the Schodinger picture, as opposed to the Heisenberg picture, appears to be what you are using. In general the state vector will then be evolving as a superposition of eigenstates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?