QFT: calculating decay rates from invariant matrix element M

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the differential decay rate of a particle at rest into a set of final particles, using the Feynman rules. The equation includes a delta function for momentum conservation and is integrated using 4D integrals. The conversation also references a helpful online resource for further understanding.
FredMadison
Hi!

I am currently taking a first course in QFT with Peskin & Schroeder's book. I've got stuck with the equation that relates the differential decay rate of a particle A at rest into a set of final particles with the invariant matrix element M of the process. M can be found from the Feynman rules.
The equation is:

[tex]d\Gamma = \frac{1}{2m_A}\left(\prod_f \frac{d^3 p_f}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{2E_f}\right) |M(m_A \rightarrow \{p_f\})|^2 (2\pi)^4 \delta^{(4)}(p_A-\sum p_f)[/tex]

where

[tex]\Gamma[/tex] is the decay rate
[tex]m_A[/tex] is the rest energy of the initial particle A
[tex]p_A[/tex] is the momentum of the initial particle A
[tex]E_f[/tex] is the energy of one of the final particles
[tex]p_f[/tex] is the momentum of one of the final particles

In my problem, 1 particle decays into 2, so we get 2 factors with one integral each when integrating both sides to find [tex]\Gamma[/tex]. I feel kinda unsure on how to treat the delta function since it is four-dimensional and the integrals over p are three-dimensional. It's clear that the delta function imposes momentum conservation, but how to integrate?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I seem to recall you can convert the 3D integral into a 4D integral. It's been way too long since I took QFT to remember the details, and I'm too lazy to go dig out my books. But I found this on the web:

http://www.physics.thetangentbundle.net/wiki/Quantum_field_theory/phase_space_integral

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot! That link was really helpful.

1. What is QFT?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework in physics that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. What is an invariant matrix element M?

An invariant matrix element M is a mathematical expression that represents the probability amplitude for a specific physical process, such as particle decay, to occur. It is invariant because it remains unchanged under certain transformations, such as rotations or boosts.

3. How is the decay rate calculated from the invariant matrix element M?

The decay rate is calculated by taking the square of the absolute value of the invariant matrix element M and multiplying it by a factor that accounts for the available phase space for the decay to occur. This factor takes into consideration the masses and energies of the particles involved in the decay process.

4. What is the significance of calculating decay rates in QFT?

Calculating decay rates is an important aspect of QFT as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. This information is crucial in understanding fundamental physics and can be tested and verified through experiments.

5. Are there any limitations to using QFT to calculate decay rates?

Yes, there are limitations to using QFT to calculate decay rates. One limitation is that QFT is only applicable to particles at high energies, and the calculations become increasingly complicated as the number of particles involved in the decay process increases. Additionally, QFT does not take into account the effects of gravity, so it cannot be used for processes involving massive objects.