1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT: calculating decay rates from invariant matrix element M

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1

I am currently taking a first course in QFT with Peskin & Schroeder's book. I've got stuck with the equation that relates the differential decay rate of a particle A at rest into a set of final particles with the invariant matrix element M of the process. M can be found from the Feynman rules.
    The equation is:

[tex]d\Gamma = \frac{1}{2m_A}\left(\prod_f \frac{d^3 p_f}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{2E_f}\right) |M(m_A \rightarrow \{p_f\})|^2 (2\pi)^4 \delta^{(4)}(p_A-\sum p_f)[/tex]

[tex]\Gamma[/tex] is the decay rate
    [tex]m_A[/tex] is the rest energy of the initial particle A
    [tex]p_A[/tex] is the momentum of the initial particle A
    [tex]E_f[/tex] is the energy of one of the final particles
    [tex]p_f[/tex] is the momentum of one of the final particles

In my problem, 1 particle decays into 2, so we get 2 factors with one integral each when integrating both sides to find [tex]\Gamma[/tex]. I feel kinda unsure on how to treat the delta function since it is four-dimensional and the integrals over p are three-dimensional. It's clear that the delta function imposes momentum conservation, but how to integrate?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I seem to recall you can convert the 3D integral into a 4D integral. It's been way too long since I took QFT to remember the details, and I'm too lazy to go dig out my books. But I found this on the web:

http://www.physics.thetangentbundle.net/wiki/Quantum_field_theory/phase_space_integral [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 11, 2010 #3
    Thanks a lot! That link was really helpful.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook