1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT- Compton Scattering Crossection

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm working through the derivation of the Compton scattering crossection and I'm getting stuck partway through. More details below:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I'm following along with Zee section II.8.

We have two diagrams that contribute to order e^2, one that corresponds to the following amplitude:

[tex]A(\epsilon',k',\epsilon,k)=ie^2\bar{u}'\frac{{\not}\epsilon' {\not} \epsilon {\not} k}{2pk}u[/tex]

The other diagram corresponds to [itex]A(\epsilon,-k,\epsilon',k')[/itex]

Now, I want to find the crossection, which means I have to square the total amplitude, so I end up with a term like:

[tex]|A(\epsilon',k',\epsilon,k)|^2=\frac{e^4}{(2pk)^2} Tr(u'\bar{u}' {\not}\epsilon' {\not} \epsilon{\not}k u\bar{u} {\not}k {\not} \epsilon {\not}\epsilon') [/tex]

[tex]=\frac{e^4}{(2pk)^2} Tr(({\not}p'+m) {\not}\epsilon' {\not} \epsilon{\not}k ({\not}p +m ){\not}k {\not} \epsilon {\not}\epsilon') [/tex]

From here, we simplify, and multiply everything out. The m^2 term drops out because [itex]{\not}k{\not}k=k^2=\mu^2=0[/itex] where mu is the photon mass.

The [itex]{\not}p m[/itex] terms involve odd numbers of gamma matrices and thus drop out when we take the trace. So, we're left with:

[tex]=\frac{e^4}{(2pk)^2} Tr({\not}p' {\not}\epsilon' {\not} \epsilon{\not}k {\not}p{\not}k {\not} \epsilon {\not}\epsilon') [/tex]

Now we simplify using the normalization for the polarization vectors and the anti commutation relations. We get down to:

[tex]=\frac{e^4}{(2pk)} Tr({\not}p' {\not}\epsilon' {\not} {\not}k {\not} \epsilon) =4\frac{e^4}{(2pk)}(2(k\epsilon')^2 +k'p))[/tex]

This last step is where I am getting stuck. I can fill in all the gaps up to this point. This is what I do:

I anticommute the k and epsilon' and then use the normalization [itex]{\not}\epsilon'^2=-1[/itex]

Thus, I am left with:

[tex]=4\frac{e^4}{(2pk)}Tr({\not}p'(2k\epsilon') {\not} \epsilon'+{\not}p'{\not}k)[/tex]

I don't see how I can get to the result given in the line above. The factor of four comes from the trace over the gamma matrices, but specifically, how do I get a term proportional to [itex](k\epsilon')^2[/itex]

I think I have to express p' in terms of p and k', but I still don't see how I can get to the answer given.

Thanks alot. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?