QM decomposing linear polarization states

In summary, the conversation is about how to decompose |(pi/2)+\vartheta> into canonical basis, with the question of what to do with the pi/2 term. The answer is that since |theta> = (cos\vartheta, sin\vartheta), then |pi/2+theta> = (-sin\vartheta, cos\vartheta). The conversation also mentions that adding quantum states means something different from writing a state with the sum of two numbers. Finally, there is a thank you and a clarification on how to get the value for theta.
doublemint
Hello,

I am trying to decompose |(pi/2)+[tex]\vartheta[/tex]> into canonical basis. I have done it for |[tex]\vartheta[/tex]> but i am unsure about what to do with the pi/2.

Given |theta> = (cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex])
I was thinking that pi/2 becomes (0 i) and I would add the two vectors together.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thank You
DoubleMint

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe I found my answer.
Since |theta> = (cos sin), then |pi/2+theta> = (-sin cos)

If

[tex] | \theta \rangle = \begin{pmatrix} \cos\theta \\ \sin\theta \end{pmatrix},[/tex]

then it seems natural that

[tex] | \theta + \phi \rangle = \begin{pmatrix} \cos(\theta+\phi) \\ \sin(\theta+\phi) \end{pmatrix}.[/tex]

Also, note that adding quantum states means something completely different from writing down a state whose parameters are the sum of two numbers. The first is a superposition of two states, each with definite quantum numbers.

doublemint,

how did u get the one for theta ?

I am going over his class examples and can't seem to get it..

thanks in advance

i think i got it ... it was right there and i was over complicating things... thank you anyways! :)

1. What is QM decomposing linear polarization states?

QM decomposing linear polarization states is a quantum mechanical method used to describe the polarization state of light. It involves decomposing the polarization state into two linearly polarized components, known as the "fast" and "slow" axes, using a mathematical technique called the Jones calculus.

2. How does QM decomposing linear polarization states differ from classical methods?

Unlike classical methods, QM decomposing linear polarization states takes into account the quantum nature of light. This means that it can accurately describe polarization states of single photons, whereas classical methods are only applicable to a large number of photons.

3. What is the significance of QM decomposing linear polarization states?

QM decomposing linear polarization states is important in understanding and manipulating the quantum properties of light. It is also used in various applications such as quantum communication and quantum computing, where precise control and measurement of polarization states is necessary.

4. How is QM decomposing linear polarization states experimentally implemented?

There are various experimental methods for implementing QM decomposing linear polarization states, such as using polarizing optics, wave plates, and interferometers. These methods allow for the manipulation and measurement of polarization states with high precision.

5. Are there any limitations to QM decomposing linear polarization states?

One limitation of QM decomposing linear polarization states is that it assumes the light source is coherent, meaning that the photons are in phase with each other. This may not be the case for all light sources, and therefore, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, this method is not applicable to non-linear polarization states.