1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM: Groundstates and changing Hamiltonians

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At time t<0 I have a Hamiltonian given by:

[tex]
    H = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {\varepsilon _1 } & { - V} \\
    { - V} & {\varepsilon _2 } \\
    \end{array}} \right)
    [/tex]

with the ground state [tex]\left| {v_ - } \right\rangle = A\left( {\sqrt 2 - 1} \right)\left| 1 \right\rangle + \left| 2 \right\rangle [/tex], where A is some constant.

Now at t=0 the Hamiltonain changes, since [tex]\varepsilon_1=\varepsilon_2=0[/tex] for t>0.

I have to find the probability of finding the particle in the groundstate of the new Hamiltonian at the time t=0.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, first I have found the groundstate [tex]\left| {m_0 } \right\rangle[/tex] of the new Hamiltonian. Since I have to find the probability of the particle being in the state [tex]\left| {m_0 } \right\rangle[/tex] at t=0, I still need the Hamiltonian for t<0, i.e. I need:

[tex]
    H = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {\varepsilon _1 } & { - V} \\
    { - V} & {\varepsilon _2 } \\
    \end{array}} \right)
    [/tex]

I am a little uncertain of what should be done now. Can you push me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2
    I'm also uncertain, but my guess is that you should first normalize your ground states and then take the square modulus of their inner product to get the probability:

[tex]P = |\langle v_- | m_0\rangle|^2[/tex]

4. Oct 15, 2008 #3
    I think we're on the right track, Irid.

I'm quite sure I have to use [tex]P = |\langle v_- | \Psi\rangle|^2 [/tex], but how can I extract \Psi from the Hamiltonian at t=0?

5. Oct 15, 2008 #4
    You said that you have Psi, only named it m_0. Anyway, I think one needs to set up an eigenvalue equation and you'll obtain eigenvectors. The one which corresponds to the lowest energy is termed "the ground state".

6. Oct 15, 2008 #5
    I have already found (and normalized) the groundstate [tex]\left| {m_0 } \right\rangle[/tex]. But the groundstate is not the same as the wavefunction itself, i.e. the solution of the time-dependant Schrödinger-equation?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

7. Oct 16, 2008 #6
    Ok, I worked it out. The particle is in the groundstate, so [tex]\Psi(x,0) = \left| {v__- } \right\rangle[/tex] and the new stationary state is [tex]\psi(x) = \left| {m_0 } \right\rangle[/tex]. That is, we can find the probability as:

[tex]
    P = |\langle m_0 | v_-\rangle|^2.
    [/tex]

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?