QM only possible in flat space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between quantum mechanics and curved space. While the standard cosmology allows for different possible spatial curvatures, the axioms of quantum mechanics demand the Schrodinger equation to be linear, making Euclidean space the only acceptable option for QM. However, it is possible to discuss QFT in a curved background spacetime and there are well-known examples of QM on curved manifolds. The Laplacian in curved space is defined in terms of the metric and the evolution of states and wave functions over this space remains linear. Even with non-vanishing curvature, the operators in the Hilbert space remain linear and the superposition principle holds. This allows for quantum mechanics to be applied on curved
TrickyDicky said:
NRQM in curved space, which would be restricted to curved 3-space that I think is not possible in the nonrelativistic case because strictly speaking Δψ can't be used ...
It can be used; you have to use the 3-dim. Laplace-Beltrami operator for the manifold (M,g)

TrickyDicky said:
since the wave function wouldn't be in Euclidean space, however in QM ψ is defined as an abstract vector space and these are defined in R^n.
Not Euklidean Rn, but a Hilbert space; that's a big difference.

I think we should get rid of coordinates and use coordinate-free notation.

ΔM is a linear operator defined on tangent space of M in a point P. ΔM can be applied to arbitrary scalar functions f(P): M → R. If we apply this to non-rel. QM on M then ΔM becomes the Hamiltonian H (for a free particle = w/o interaction terms) and f becomes a wave function defined over M. So f must live in a Hilbert space, which means we need a measure (integral) to define the scalar product

(f,g) → ∫M f* g

on M. If all this can be constructed then we are ready to do QM on M.

Now ΔM is typically highly non-linear in any coordinate representation (chart) on M, but as an operator it acts linearly on functions f on M, and therefore it can potentially act as a linear operator on a Hilbert space defined as function space over M.

Honestly, I do have no idea how to go beyond linear functional analysis. Neither do I know the maths, nor am I able to guess a physical application. I know that there are research programs (non-linear QM) trying to replace the linear SE with a non-linear one to describre the (non-unitary) "collapse of the wave function", but afaik all those proposals have failed. I would call this "beyond mainstream" whereas QM on curved manifolds is standard

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. The Laplace-Beltrami Operator is dictated by a classical symmetry consideration but of course it is by no means clear whether this is "correct" in some fundamental sense. That's why it's interesting to derive the equations via constraint quantization and to check whether the results of the two approaches coincide.

Keep in mind: already in flat Euklidean space and cartesian coordinates it is by no means clear why the ansatz

Hψ = -∂²ψ

is the correct one; why not

Hψ = -(xa ∂ xb ∂ xc ψ)

with a+b+c=0 ?

The answer is a) symmetry and b) b/c it works.

Quantization on curved manifolds is not really more ambiguous that quantization on flat space. But the ambiguities become more obvious and pressing - and we do not have many real systems at hand to check experimentally ;-)

Last edited:
I was trying to find any physical example in NRQM that applies the Laplace-Beltrami op. for general manifolds in a situation that is not a stationary solution(not harmonic) but I'm not having any success. Any hints?

no hints, I am sorry

but it should be clear the time-dep. SE still holds

[tex]i\frac{d}{dt}\,\psi = \left(-\frac{1}{2m}\triangle_\mathcal{M} + V\right)\,\psi[/tex]

what are you interested in? calculation of propagators?

tom.stoer said:
no hints, I am sorry

but it should be clear the time-dep. SE still holds

[tex]i\frac{d}{dt}\,\psi = \left(-\frac{1}{2m}\triangle_\mathcal{M} + V\right)\,\psi[/tex]
Certainly, but I find hard to find a situation that can be solved within the nonrelativistic setting that is not stationary and still has the symmetry necessary to use the [itex] \triangle_\mathcal{M}[/itex], it would seem to me the introduction of a time asymmetry prevents it or at least I have only seen examples of its use related with harmonic functions.
Even in the QFT example you gave me about the Hawking radiation the problem is about the static Black hole.
tom.stoer said:
what are you interested in? calculation of propagators?
Yes, but I'm certainly in a -previous to being able to do any calculation-phase at this moment.

You could add a second particle moving on the same manifold M (i.e. S²) plus a two-particle interaction via a scalar potential respecting the symmetry of M.

[tex]i\frac{d}{dt}\,\psi_1\otimes\psi_2 = \left(-\frac{1}{2m}\triangle_1 -\frac{1}{2m}\triangle_2 + V_{12}\right)\,\psi_1\otimes\psi_2[/tex]

tom.stoer said:
You could add a second particle moving on the same manifold M (i.e. S²) plus a two-particle interaction via a scalar potential respecting the symmetry of M.

[tex]i\frac{d}{dt}\,\psi_1\otimes\psi_2 = \left(-\frac{1}{2m}\triangle_1 -\frac{1}{2m}\triangle_2 + V_{12}\right)\,\psi_1\otimes\psi_2[/tex]

If we add a second particle it wouldn't be the same manifold, we'd double the dimensions.

TrickyDicky said:
If we add a second particle it wouldn't be the same manifold, we'd double the dimensions.
yes, strictly speaking you are right; nevertheless I would say that Tom and TrickyDicky live in the same R3 space, not in R6 :smile:

Last edited:
:eek: really?? Maybe, but don't tell the relativity forum guys :smile:

For 2-dim systems these ideas can be useful in nanotechnology and surface science; I guess the solid-state guys could be interested as well; you could also look for "QM on (Riemann) manifolds" or "QM on (Riemann) surfaces".

For 3-dim systems (not R³) the only (trivial) example I know is the three-torus T³ which is often used to regulate the IR limit and to get a discrete spectrum. I cannot think about any application in non-rel. QM but this may be due to my own ignorance;-)

Thanks.