QM: "What are the possible results of measuring Operator A?"

In summary, the homework asks you to find the eigenvalues of A. Measuring a quantity represented by an operator ##\hat{O}## in system specified by a state ##|\psi\rangle## mathematically translates into calculating ##\langle \psi|\hat{O}|\psi \rangle##. Now the system state ##|\psi\rangle## can be expanded into basis of ##\hat{O}##, performing this you will get ##\psi|\hat{O}|\psi \rangle=\sum_n |c_n|^2 O_n## where ##O_n## an eigenvalue of the
sa1988

Homework Statement

2vm94ee.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fine with parts a) and b)

However I don't understand what part c) is asking me to do. How do I 'measure' an operator?

There are only two things I can think to do:
1. Find the expectation values of A for <Φ1|A|Φ1> and <Φ2|A|Φ2>
or
2. Find the operator eigenvalues of A

I know how to perform these tasks, so the only thing I'm confused about is the wording. I don't really understand what is meant when it talks about 'measuring' an operator.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It asks you to find the eigenvalues of A. Measuring a quantity represented by an operator ##\hat{O}## in system specified by a state ##|\psi\rangle## mathematically translates into calculating ##\langle \psi|\hat{O}|\psi \rangle##. Now the system state ##|\psi\rangle## can be expanded into basis of ##\hat{O}##, performing this you will get ##\psi|\hat{O}|\psi \rangle=\sum_n |c_n|^2 O_n## where ##O_n## an eigenvalue of the operator and ##|c_n|^2 = |\langle o_n|\psi\rangle|^2## the probability of obtaining a value ##O_n## during the measurement.

Likes sa1988
blue_leaf77 said:
It asks you to find the eigenvalues of A. Measuring a quantity represented by an operator ##\hat{O}## in system specified by a state ##|\psi\rangle## mathematically translates into calculating ##\langle \psi|\hat{O}|\psi \rangle##. Now the system state ##|\psi\rangle## can be expanded into basis of ##\hat{O}##, performing this you will get ##\psi|\hat{O}|\psi \rangle=\sum_n |c_n|^2 O_n## where ##O_n## an eigenvalue of the operator and ##|c_n|^2 = |\langle o_n|\psi\rangle|^2## the probability of obtaining a value ##O_n## during the measurement.
Thanks for that.

So essentially the eigenvalues of the operator are the only possible results from measuring the observable. Right?

I've seen examples applied to other problems where the we have energy eigenvalues that attribute to each possible state. I don't understand how the vectors come into it though? Are the vectors (kets) just ways of storing the information about the thing the eigenvalue is attributed to?

For example, a case where we have an energy value ε for some eigenvector |Ψ>, it's essentially saying that the 'stuff' within |Ψ> exists at an energy of ε ...?

sa1988 said:
So essentially the eigenvalues of the operator are the only possible results from measuring the observable. Right?
Right.
sa1988 said:
I don't understand how the vectors come into it though? Are the vectors (kets) just ways of storing the information about the thing the eigenvalue is attributed to?
Yes, one can say that the state of a system is more or less the information carrying agent responsible for that system. The state dictates how the fluctuative behavior of measurement outcomes look like, i.e. whether or not there is uncertainty, and if there is, how of the possible outcomes are spread.
sa1988 said:
For example, a case where we have an energy value ε for some eigenvector |Ψ>, it's essentially saying that the 'stuff' within |Ψ> exists at an energy of ε ...?
If a system turns out to be in an eigenstate of the corresponding Hamiltonian, then a measurement of energy will always yield that same amount of energy which is the eigenvalue corresponding to the state the system is in. No matter how many times you run this measurement, you will always get the same result. Which means in this case there is no uncertainty.

Likes sa1988
Got it. Great stuff, thanks a lot.

What are the possible results of measuring Operator A?

The possible results of measuring Operator A are determined by the eigenvalues of the operator. These eigenvalues represent the observable quantities that can be measured, and the corresponding eigenvectors represent the states in which these measurements can be observed. In quantum mechanics, the measurement of an operator will always yield one of its eigenvalues as the result.

What is the difference between an eigenstate and a superposition state?

An eigenstate is a state in which a quantum system is found when a specific observable is measured, while a superposition state is a combination of multiple eigenstates. In an eigenstate, the result of a measurement is certain, while in a superposition state, the result is probabilistic and can be any of the eigenvalues of the observable being measured.

How do you calculate the expectation value of an operator?

The expectation value of an operator is calculated by taking the inner product of the operator with the quantum state vector, squared. This value represents the average value that would be obtained if the observable was measured multiple times on the same quantum system in the same state.

What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact values of both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This means that the more precisely one quantity is measured, the less precisely the other can be known. This principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has important implications for the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

Can the wave function of a quantum system collapse?

The wave function of a quantum system can collapse when a measurement is made on the system. This is known as wave function collapse and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics. When a measurement is made, the system's wave function changes to one of its eigenstates, and the corresponding eigenvalue is observed as the measurement result.