1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic equation word problem

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1
    1. Problem
    Barkley runs a canoe-rental business on a small river in Pennsylvania. Currently, the
    business charges $12 per canoe and they average 36 rentals a day. A study shows that
    for every $.50 increase in rental price, the business can expect to lose two rentals per
    day. Find the price that will maximize income.

2. The attempt at a solution
    I found this problem on the internet. I can probably solve the problem manually, but I want to learn how to create a set of equation to describe this situation.
    R= revenue, x= rental rate and t= number of rentals

R = x * t
    R= 432 in a normal state.

I am not sure how to link a $0.50 change in x to a 2 unit change in t.

How should I go about this?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If you increase the price by $0.50 then your revenue will now be

[tex]R=(x+0.5)(t-2)[/tex]

Increase it again by another $0.50 and you now have?

What if you increase it n times?

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The demand (number of rentals per day) is given by
    [tex] N = 36 - 4(p-12)[/tex]
    where ##p =## price ($) and ##N=## number rented per day. Note that when ##p = 12## we have ##N = 36##, as given in the problem. Note also that ##N## decreases by 4 when ##p## increases by 1 (that is, ##N## decreases by 2 when ##p## increases by 0.5).

The income is ##I = p N## because we have ##N## rentals and receive ##p##($) for each rental. Thus the daily income (in $) is
    [tex] I = pN = p[36 - 4(p-12)] = 84 p - 4 p^2 [/tex]

5. Apr 17, 2014 #4
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted