Grade 11 Math Help Quadratic functions/ physics

In summary: You need to solve for I. So you need to have I on one side and everything else on the other side. Then you can factor out the I and solve for it.
Zacko282
1. Determine the equation that represents the relationship between the power and the current when the electric potential difference is 24v and the resistance is 1.5 Ω. 2. Draw a graph of the parabola that corresponds to the equation found in (a). 3. Determine the current needed in order for the device to use maximum power.

2. P = IV - I^2 R. P = IV3. P = 16 x 24 - 256 x 1.5 = 384 - 384 = 0
P (I) = 256I + 16I - 1.5

Ive been stuck on the questions for a month now and not even really sure how to turn a physics equation into a quadratic function. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zacko282 said:
1. Determine the equation that represents the relationship between the power and the current when the electric potential difference is 24v and the resistance is 1.5 Ω. 2. Draw a graph of the parabola that corresponds to the equation found in (a). 3. Determine the current needed in order for the device to use maximum power.

2. P = IV - I^2 R. P = IV3. P = 16 x 24 - 256 x 1.5 = 384 - 384 = 0
P (I) = 256I + 16I - 1.5

Ive been stuck on the questions for a month now and not even really sure how to turn a physics equation into a quadratic function. Any help is appreciated.
Substitute the values for V and R in the first equation in item 2 above. Then you will have a quadratic equation in P and I. I don't know why you substituted 16 for I in the equation you wrote.

After you have the equation with P as a function of I, sketch a graph, which I on the horizontal axis and P on the vertical axis. From the graph you should have a good idea about what current is associated with the maximum power value.

Mark44 said:
Substitute the values for V and R in the first equation in item 2 above. Then you will have a quadratic equation in P and I. I don't know why you substituted 16 for I in the equation you wrote.

After you have the equation with P as a function of I, sketch a graph, which I on the horizontal axis and P on the vertical axis. From the graph you should have a good idea about what current is associated with the maximum power value.

so the end equation would look something like this? P = I24 - I^2 1.5 ? or would it be P = I (24) - (1.5)^2 ?
and for example if i put it into an equation of y = a (x - h)^2 + k would it be y = 24 (x - 0) + 1.5 ? Thanks for the help btw.

Zacko282 said:
so the end equation would look something like this? P = I24 - I^2 1.5 ?
This one, but I would write it as ##P = 24 I - 1.5 I^2## with the coefficients in front of the variables.
Zacko282 said:
or would it be P = I (24) - (1.5)^2 ?
No. You lost the ##I^2## term. In that term I should be squared, not 1.5.
Zacko282 said:
and for example if i put it into an equation of y = a (x - h)^2 + k would it be y = 24 (x - 0) + 1.5 ? Thanks for the help btw.
No. For one thing, don't switch from I and P to x and y. For another thing your coefficients are in the wrong places.

Just factor the correct equation, and that will give you the current (I) values for which P is zero. The I value for maximum current will be exactly in the middle of the two I-intercepts.

Mark44 said:
This one, but I would write it as ##P = 24 I - 1.5 I^2## with the coefficients in front of the variables.
No. You lost the ##I^2## term. In that term I should be squared, not 1.5.

No. For one thing, don't switch from I and P to x and y. For another thing your coefficients are in the wrong places.

Just factor the correct equation, and that will give you the current (I) values for which P is zero. The I value for maximum current will be exactly in the middle of the two I-intercepts.
Ok, so The answer i get should be P = 22.5I then?

Zacko282 said:
Ok, so The answer i get should be P = 22.5I then?
No, you're way off. Are you thinking that ##24 I - 1.5 I^2 = 22.5 I##? If so, you need to review your algebra.

Mark44 said:
No, you're way off. Are you thinking that ##24 I - 1.5 I^2 = 22.5 I##? If so, you need to review your algebra.
Do i simplify both sides of the equation and then isolate the variable ?

Zacko282 said:
Do i simplify both sides of the equation and then isolate the variable ?
No.
Your equation is ##P = 24 I - 1.5 I^2##, which is already a quadratic equation in the variable I.
Do you know to graph a quadratic equation? The graph will be a parabola.
Do you know how to find the vertex of a parabola? That point is where P has its maximum value.

To be honest, I'm starting to see why you have been working on this problem for a month without success.

Mark44 said:
No.
Your equation is ##P = 24 I - 1.5 I^2##, which is already a quadratic equation in the variable I.
Do you know to graph a quadratic equation? The graph will be a parabola.
Do you know how to find the vertex of a parabola? That point is where P has its maximum value.

To be honest, I'm starting to see why you have been working on this problem for a month without success.
Yes, i believe so, I find the x- intercepts of the equation and then use that to determine the a of the equation.

Zacko282 said:
Yes, i believe so, I find the x- intercepts of the equation and then use that to determine the a of the equation.
Isn't it obvious that a = -1.5? Also, you want the I-intercepts. The axis of symmetry of the parabola is halfway between the two I-intercepts. You can use the halfway value to find the high point of the parabola.

Mark44 said:
Isn't it obvious that a = -1.5? Also, you want the I-intercepts. The axis of symmetry of the parabola is halfway between the two I-intercepts.
No, the work document sent to me by the teacher doesn't even teach me how to solve this kind of question =/. and then does that mean for the equation in vertex form it would be y = 1.5 (x - 24) + 0 or (x - 0) + 24? I'm sorry I'm kind of slow =( This is the only problem all unit I've had trouble with.

Please stop using x and y. You'll just confuse yourself, as the equation you're working with involves I and P.
Zacko282 said:
No, the work document sent to me by the teacher doesn't even teach me how to solve this kind of question =/. and then does that mean for the equation in vertex form it would be y = 1.5 (x - 24) + 0 or (x - 0) + 24?

The equation is ##P = 24 I - 1.5 I^2##, or ##P = -1.5 I^2 + 24 I##.

If I translate what you have above, I get ##P = 1.5(I - 24)## or ##(I - 0) + 24##
I don't know what you are doing here, since an equation doesn't have "or" in it, and neither of these can be transformed to get back to ##P = -1.5 I^2 + 24 I##.

Have you worked with quadratic functions before? Do you know about completing the square to find the vertex of a parabola that is represented by a quadratic function? If you know this technique, it's a lot harder than what I've suggested, about finding the axis of symmetry.

Mark44 said:
Please stop using x and y. You'll just confuse yourself, as the equation you're working with involves I and P.The equation is ##P = 24 I - 1.5 I^2##, or ##P = -1.5 I^2 + 24 I##.

If I translate what you have above, I get ##P = 1.5(I - 24)## or ##(I - 0) + 24##
I don't know what you are doing here, since an equation doesn't have "or" in it, and neither of these can be transformed to get back to ##P = -1.5 I^2 + 24 I##.

Have you worked with quadratic functions before? Do you know about completing the square to find the vertex of a parabola that is represented by a quadratic function? If you know this technique, it's a lot harder than what I've suggested, about finding the axis of symmetry.
i have, idk why i find this one so hard to understand =/ and ok so P = 24I - 1.5I^2 is the equation. How would i find the I intercepts to be able to find the axis of symmetry? (again thanks for helping me) (edit, would the vertex be (8,96))

Zacko282 said:
i have, idk why i find this one so hard to understand =/ and ok so P = 24I - 1.5I^2 is the equation. How would i find the I intercepts to be able to find the axis of symmetry? (again thanks for helping me) (edit, would the vertex be (8,96))

Yes, that's the vertex.
Using the technique I suggested:
##P = 24 I - 1.5 I^2 = I (24 - 1.5 I)##
The I-intercepts (where P = 0) are obtained by setting P = 0.
##I (24 - 1.5 I) = 0 \Rightarrow I = 0 \text{ or } I = 16##
The axis of symmetry is the vertical line I = 8, which is halfway between 0 and 16. Substitute this value for I in the equation to get ##P(8) = 24 * 8 - 1.5 * 64 = 96##

Likes Zacko282
Mark44 said:
Yes, that's the vertex.
Using the technique I suggested:
##P = 24 I - 1.5 I^2 = I (24 - 1.5 I)##
The I-intercepts (where P = 0) are obtained by setting P = 0.
##I (24 - 1.5 I) = 0 \Rightarrow I = 0 \text{ or } I = 16##
The axis of symmetry is the vertical line I = 8, which is halfway between 0 and 16. Substitute this value for I in the equation to get ##P(8) = 24 * 8 - 1.5 * 64 = 96##
THANK GOD! Thanks a lot for the help, and how would i graph this parabola? Nvm found out how to graph it! now how do i find the max power?

Last edited:
Zacko282 said:
THANK GOD! Thanks a lot for the help, and how would i graph this parabola? Nvm found out how to graph it! now how do i find the max power?
Graph the parabola on axes labeled I (horizontal) and P (vertical). Which way does it open -- up or down? Is there a high point or a low point?

Mark44 said:
Graph the parabola on axes labeled I (horizontal) and P (vertical). Which way does it open -- up or down? Is there a high point or a low point?
It opens down and the maximum value is 96

Zacko282 said:
It opens down and the maximum value is 96
Right

THANKYOU

Likes Mark44

1. What are quadratic functions and how are they used in Grade 11 math?

Quadratic functions are mathematical equations that involve a variable raised to the second power (x²). In Grade 11 math, they are used to represent and analyze parabolic curves, which can model a variety of real-world phenomena such as projectile motion and profit maximization in business.

2. How do I solve quadratic equations?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula, factoring, or completing the square. The quadratic formula is the most general method and is often used when the equation cannot be easily factored. Factoring involves finding two numbers that multiply to give the constant term and add to give the coefficient of the x-term. Completing the square involves manipulating the equation to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be easily solved.

3. How do I graph a quadratic function?

To graph a quadratic function, you can use a table of values or the vertex form of the equation. In the vertex form, the vertex (or highest/lowest point on the graph) is given by the values h and k. You can plot the vertex and a few other points to create a smooth curve. You can also determine the direction of the parabola (upward or downward) by looking at the coefficient of the x² term.

4. What is projectile motion and how is it related to quadratic functions?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. This type of motion can be modeled using quadratic functions because the path of the projectile follows a parabolic curve. The initial launch height and velocity can be represented by the y-intercept and slope of the quadratic function, while the time and displacement can be found using the x-intercepts.

5. Can quadratic functions be used in physics?

Yes, quadratic functions are commonly used in physics to model various types of motion, such as projectile motion, free fall, and oscillations. This is because quadratic functions can accurately represent the relationship between time and displacement or velocity, which are important concepts in physics. They can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems, making them a valuable tool for scientists and engineers.