1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic equations - problems

1. May 26, 2015 #1
    • Missing template due to originally being posted in non-homework forum
    A train travels a distance of 480km at a uniform speed. If the speed had been 8km/h less, then it would have taken 3 hours more to cover the same distance. Find the speed of the train.
    Represent this situation in the form of quadratic equation.

So I have been trying this but couldn't find it.
    I have taken the speed as x.
    And time, t
    Distance =speed *time
    Then
    480=xt
    480=(x-8)(t+3)
    I couldn't go any further. And I'm not sure if this is right or not.
    I just started learning quadratic equations. And I don't have any depth in the subject. Help me solve it in an easy way. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Generally, avoid using x for speed as it is more regularly used for distances.

Apart from that (and the fact your quantities are missing units), you are doing well. You have two equations and two unknowns. Solve for t in one of them (I suggest the first) and insert the result into the other.

4. May 26, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no problem with using "x" for speed! And in problems like this distance is more often "s" or "d".
    (Though, personally, I would have used "v".)

It would be better to say that t is the time required to travel 480 km at the original speed. Just "t is time" is ambiguous. And it would be better to say "x is the speed in km per hour and t is in hours" but those are a bit picky!

From 480= xt,, t= 480/x. Replace t in the second equation with that to get a single equation in x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted