Quadrilaterals with diagonals that don't bisect one another

• MHB
  • Thread starter teacher ARTHUR
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of bisecting diagonals in a quadrilateral. The correct answer to the question about which quadrilateral has diagonals that do not bisect each other is D. Trapezoid, as the others fall into the category of parallelograms. The conversation also clarifies the meaning of bisecting a line segment and how it applies to quadrilaterals. Additionally, the conversation explores the difference between intersecting and bisecting diagonals in concave and convex quadrilaterals.
teacher ARTHUR
i have read this question from a book:

WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING QUADRILATERALS HAS DIAGONALS THAT DO NOT BISECT EACH OTHER?
A. SQUARE
B. RECTANGLE
C. RHOMBUS
D. TRAPEZOID

my answer is none of the given choices...
for irregular quadrilaterals may be... as concave polygon

I'M looking for forward for additional explanation, thank you...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What does it mean to bisect a line segment?

diagonals form by two opposite vertices. Example given parallelogram ABCD then the diagonals are line segment AC and BD.

teacher ARTHUR said:
diagonals form by two opposite vertices. Example given parallelogram ABCD then the diagonals are line segment AC and BD.

That's true, but I was asking about bisection of a line segment. :)

Since the question is about diagonals bisecting each other, which effectively means they cut each other in half, the correct answer to the question is D. Trapezoid, since the others fall into the category of the parallelogram, whose diagonals always bisect.

When you said that none of the above was correct, I think what you were referring to was intersecting diagonals, in which case you would be correct. All 4 answers are convex quadrilaterals, so their diagonals will intersect. In concave ones (a boomerang for example), they do no intersect.

Hope this helped and it's not too late :)

If, for example, the word bisect is used in a different context, then it only means to divide in two parts. But in Geometry, it means to divide in two equal parts. Word bi means two and word sect means to cut. The answer therefore, as already posted above, is Trapezoid.

MarkFL said:
That's true, but I was asking about bisection of a line segment. :)
I believe the bisecting bit means that, given a quadrilateral ABCD, where AD and BC are the diagonals, say they intersect at point M; they bisect is AM = MD and BM = MD... Unless you already knew that.

IHateFactorial said:
I believe the bisecting bit means that, given a quadrilateral ABCD, where AD and BC are the diagonals, say they intersect at point M; they bisect is AM = MD and BM = MD... Unless you already knew that.

I was asking to see if the OP knew, in an effort to guide them to a solution. :)

1. What is a quadrilateral with diagonals that don't bisect one another?

A quadrilateral with diagonals that don't bisect one another is a type of four-sided shape where the two diagonals do not intersect at their midpoints, or do not divide each other into equal halves.

2. What is the difference between a quadrilateral with diagonals that don't bisect one another and a regular quadrilateral?

The main difference between the two is that a regular quadrilateral has diagonals that bisect each other at their midpoints, while a quadrilateral with diagonals that don't bisect one another does not have diagonals that intersect at their midpoints.

3. How many types of quadrilaterals with diagonals that don't bisect one another are there?

There are three main types of quadrilaterals with diagonals that don't bisect one another: kite, dart, and arrowhead. Each type has unique properties and characteristics.

4. What are some examples of quadrilaterals with diagonals that don't bisect one another?

Some common examples include a kite, where the two longer sides are equal in length and the two shorter sides are also equal in length; a dart, where one pair of opposite angles are equal and the other pair are unequal; and an arrowhead, where all four sides are equal in length.

5. What are the properties of a quadrilateral with diagonals that don't bisect one another?

The properties of a quadrilateral with diagonals that don't bisect one another include unequal diagonals, unequal opposite sides, and unequal opposite angles. These shapes also have two pairs of equal sides and two pairs of equal angles, depending on the specific type of quadrilateral.