Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadrupole Potential: Help Derive and Decipher This Beast!

1. May 25, 2009 #1

UAR

[tex](\textbf{q}\bullet\nabla)(\textbf{p}\bullet\nabla)\frac{1}{r} = -(\textbf{p}\bullet\textbf{q})\frac{1}{r^{3}} + 3(\textbf{p}\bullet\textbf{r})(\textbf{q}\bullet\textbf{r})\frac{1}{r^{5}}[/tex]

r is distance between field point and dipole source, [tex]\textbf{p}[/tex] is dipole moment, and I believe [tex]\textbf{q}[/tex] may be quadrupole moment tensor (what is that anyways?),

How is the above equation derived ? and exactly how is it related to the more physically and mathematically lucid dipole potential below:

[tex](\textbf{p}\bullet\nabla)\frac{1}{r} = -(\textbf{p}\bullet\textbf{r})\frac{1}{r^{3}}[/tex]

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi UAR! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(use \cdot instead of \bullet :wink:)
    It's derived from that equation simply by using it twice, first with p· and then with q·

(and because (q·)(p·r) = p·q :wink:)

4. May 25, 2009 #3

UAR

Thanks Tiny-tim!

However, while you are still online, excuse my slowness: why is:

[tex](\textbf{q}\cdot\nabla)(\textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{r})=\textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{q}[/tex] ?

5. May 25, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because p.r = xpx + ypy + zpz,

so (q·∇)(p.r) = … ? :smile:

6. May 25, 2009 #5

UAR

Aaah! Thanks! I was hesitant to do that due to a (poor notation)-induced irrational fear that [tex]p_{x'}[/tex] was a function of [tex]x[/tex]. But now I see it is not, since [tex]\nabla[/tex] is w.r.t field point [tex]\textbf{r}[/tex], while [tex]\textbf{p}[/tex] depends only on source pts [tex]\textbf{r'}[/tex].

One more question: What is [tex]\textbf{q}[/tex] ?

By the way, you are truly a good mentor. Thanks for your help and keep up the great work!!!

7. May 26, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No idea :rolleyes: … it could be anything, and the equation would still work :wink:

8. May 26, 2009 #7

UAR

Hi Tiny Tim,

Thanks for your help and for your honesty.

Anyone else care to help physically and mathematically elucidate [tex]\textbf{q}[/tex] in the quadrupole potential equation above. I read somewhere that it is called (or is related to ?) the "quadrupole moment tensor" (what exactly is that by the way?).

Thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook