Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quanta of massive vector fields

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    Are the W+,W- and Z0 the field quanta of the massive charged vector fields?????????
    ie Proca fields

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

They are massive and they are gauge fields (electroweak force). but the Z0 is not charged.

4. Jan 8, 2008 #3

blechman

Science Advisor

"Proca" fields are massive, spin-1 bosons. These objects are not unique. W and Z bosons are examples of these things. So is the rho meson in hadron physics. They are each their own separate Proca field.

5. Jan 8, 2008 #4
    but hadrons are not fundamental
    but thanks for clearing the doubt regarding w bosons

6. Jan 8, 2008 #5

blechman

Science Advisor

what does "fundamental" have to do with anything???

7. Jan 8, 2008 #6

yes but Z0 field can be written as a linear combination of W+ and W- fields
    like in scalar fields right?????????????to get a real valued field

8. Jan 8, 2008 #7

blechman

Science Advisor

what I mean by my above post is that "Proca" has nothing to do with "fundamental" - it's just the Lagrangian for a massive, spin-1 particle. The deuteron, for example, can be described by a proca field, as long as you're not interested in the substructure of the deuteron (ex: problems in atomic or molecular physics)!

9. Jan 8, 2008 #8

blechman

Science Advisor

NO!!!! The Z boson is NOT a linear combination of the charged W bosons! It is its own thing.

10. Jan 8, 2008 #9

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

11. Jan 8, 2008 #10
    wait a minute this is getting a bit confusing in nucleur physics the pions are described by complex scalar fields and over there the neutral pion is decribed by the field 1/2*(phi+phi*),i think i read this in JJ Sakurai advanced QM
    Plz confirm

12. Jan 8, 2008 #11

blechman

Science Advisor

You are mis-informed! The neutral pion is not related to the charged pions - it is a linearly independent scalar field.

I think you're getting confused with the following: the 3 pions form an isospin-1 field (3 components), call them [itex]\pi_1,\pi_2,\pi_3[/itex]. now you can write:

[tex]\pi^{\pm}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\pi_1\pm i\pi_2)[/tex]

while [itex]\pi^0 = \pi_3[/itex]. Here the sign corresponds to the charge.

Now for the W bosons, you can also write [itex]W^\pm\propto(W_1\pm iW_2)[/itex] while the Z-boson is related to [itex]W_3[/itex], although the Z boson also has hypercharge so it's more complicated than the [itex]\pi^0[/itex].

Does that help?

13. Jan 8, 2008 #12

blechman

Science Advisor

Also, in the quark model, remember that the charged pions are (u-dbar) and (d-ubar), while the neutral pion is (u-ubar)+(d-dbar) - so these are not the same thing!

14. Jan 8, 2008 #13
    thanks a lot belchman
    i know i was a confused

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?