Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Quantisation of light and Doppler effect

1. Dec 15, 2016 #1
    Light consists of quanta(small packets of energy). Then how do we explain doppler effect of light the same way we do for sound? What is the valid explanation of light doppler effect which is consistent with the photon picture?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The frequency of the photon (and hence its energy) is frame-dependent.

4. Dec 15, 2016 #3
    That's it? I simply didn't get it. Energy changing with the motion of source or observer or both, doesn't violate conservation of energy?

5. Dec 15, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Energy is conserved, but it is dependent on the frame. For example, I will measure a ball moving relative to me as having kinetic energy, but in a frame co-moving with the ball, it will have none.

6. Dec 15, 2016 #5

Drakkith

Nope. Consider yourself in a car moving down the road. If another car comes up behind you 1 mph faster than you're going and taps your bumper, your car is not totaled, despite the fact that you both may be traveling 70+ mph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted