Doppler Effect on Light: Constant Speed of Light Confusion

In summary, the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers. This is why there is a Doppler effect, which is a shift in the frequency or wavelength of a wave.
InquiringMind
TL;DR Summary
Doppler effect and constant speed of light
If the speed of light in the vacuum of empty space is the same for all observers, how can there be a Doppler effect on light? Doesn't the shift of color/frequency indicate a change in speed?

Sorry if I posted with the wrong prefix, I'm just a curious senior (as in old guy) :oldconfused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
InquiringMind said:
TL;DR Summary: Doppler effect and constant speed of light

If the speed of light in the vaccum of empty space is the same for all observers, how can there be a Doppler effect on light? Doesn't the shift of color/frequency indicate a change in speed?

Sorry if I posted with the wrong prefix, I'm just a curious senior (as in old guy) :oldconfused:
No, it indicates a change in frequency and wavelength such that the product, which is equal to the speed, stays constant.

InquiringMind said:

If the speed of light in the vaccum of empty space is the same for all observers, how can there be a Doppler effect on light? Doesn't the shift of color/frequency indicate a change in speed?

No - if the wavelength and frequency for one observer are ##\lambda## and ##\nu## and another observer measures wavelength ##\lambda'=\alpha\lambda## then they measure frequency ##\nu'=\nu/\alpha##. Then ##\lambda'\nu'=\alpha\lambda\nu/\alpha=\nu\lambda## so the wave speed is the same.

This is qualitatively similar to sound waves in a medium but the mathematical details are different.

I just read that in a vacuum, all colors travel at the same speed, so I guess that is why there can be an observed color shift without a change in speed.

Likes Dale
InquiringMind said:
I just read that in a vacuum, all colors travel at the same speed, so I guess that is why there can be an observed color shift without a change in speed.
As others said, it is the frequency shift. Here are some animations about the Doppler effect:
https://www.einstein-online.info/en/spotlight/doppler/

Last edited:
Sagittarius A-Star said:
No. As others said, it is the frequency shift. Here are some animations about the Doppler effect:
https://www.einstein-online.info/en/spotlight/doppler/
Frequency shift and color shift are the same thing. Hence terms such as "red shift" and "blue shift".

Likes Sagittarius A-Star
InquiringMind said:

If the speed of light in the vacuum of empty space is the same for all observers, how can there be a Doppler effect on light? Doesn't the shift of color/frequency indicate a change in speed?

Just to make sure it's clear...
the Doppler effect is a relationship among three velocities:
  • the velocity of the source
  • the velocity of the receiver
  • the velocity of the periodic signal (e.g. light or sound)

Longitudinal doppler shift is basically just time dilation in combination with the fact that the light pulses travels longer and longer distance towards the receiver

jbriggs444 said:
Frequency shift and color shift are the same thing. Hence terms such as "red shift" and "blue shift".
Yes, I should have mentioned this.

InquiringMind said:
Light moves in vacuum with the invariant speed and dispersion is not possible in vacuum, all colors travel at the same speed.

An observed color shift (Doppler effect) exists if the light moves in vacuum and also, if light would be sent through a dispersive medium. There, not all colors travel at the same speed. However, in this case the Doppler effect would be more complex.

You find a general treatment of the most simple case of light propagation in a dielectric and the Doppler effect here:

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/rela-waves.pdf

With "most simple case" I mean I consider only a monochromatic wave in a lossless medium with normal dispersion, i.e., concerning the optics the medium is described by a constant index of refraction, ##n>1##, i.e., the phase velocity of the wave ##c_{\text{s}}=c/n<c##.

1. What is the Doppler Effect on Light?

The Doppler Effect on Light is a phenomenon where the frequency and wavelength of light appear to change when the source of the light is moving relative to the observer. This is similar to the Doppler Effect on sound, where the pitch of a sound appears to change when the source is moving.

2. How does the Doppler Effect on Light affect the speed of light?

The Doppler Effect on Light does not affect the speed of light. The speed of light is a constant value in a vacuum, regardless of the motion of the source or the observer. However, the perceived frequency and wavelength of light can change due to the Doppler Effect, giving the illusion of a change in speed.

3. What causes the Doppler Effect on Light?

The Doppler Effect on Light is caused by the relative motion between the source of light and the observer. When the source is moving towards the observer, the wavelength of light appears shorter and the frequency appears higher. When the source is moving away from the observer, the wavelength appears longer and the frequency appears lower.

4. How is the Doppler Effect on Light used in astronomy?

The Doppler Effect on Light is used in astronomy to determine the motion of celestial objects. By measuring the shift in frequency and wavelength of light from a distant star or galaxy, astronomers can determine if the object is moving towards or away from Earth. This information can also provide insight into the structure and composition of the object.

5. Is the Doppler Effect on Light the same as the Doppler Effect on sound?

Yes, the Doppler Effect on Light and the Doppler Effect on sound are based on the same principle of relative motion between the source and the observer. However, the main difference is that light travels at a much faster speed than sound, so the effects may be more noticeable with light. Additionally, the Doppler Effect on Light can occur in a vacuum, while the Doppler Effect on sound requires a medium to travel through.