Quantum 1D box obtain an expression for the normalization constant

In summary, the conversation is discussing an electron in a one-dimensional box with walls at x =(o,a) and its quantum state, represented by two wave functions depending on the position of the electron. Part A asks for the normalization constant, A, which is found to be (a)^(-1/2). Part B asks for the lowest energy of the electron that can be measured in this state, which is found by calculating the coefficients of the Hamiltonian operator and determining the first non-zero coefficient, which corresponds to the first excited state (n = 2).
mike232

Homework Statement

An electron in a one-dimensional box with walls at x =(o,a) is in the quantum state
psi = A o<x<a/2
psi = -A a/2<x<a
A) obtain an expression for the normalization constant, A.
B) What is the lowest energy of the electron that will be measured in this state?

Homework Equations

Not given anything. But its a chapter on Hermitian operators, and Hamiltonian.

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part a I think I am just supposed to normalize, so 1=integral of A*A ... and I get A=(a)^(-1/2) which i think is my normalization constant.

But is it asking not for the constant but to work back and find an equation?

For part b,,, I just operated on psi with the Hamiltonian and because all I had were constants, I got zero... which is boring if true, but I think isn't the answer I am looking for.

If anyone could help out, many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mike232 said:
So for part a I think I am just supposed to normalize, so 1=integral of A*A ... and I get A=(a)^(-1/2) which i think is my normalization constant.

But is it asking not for the constant but to work back and find an equation?
It is only asking for A, in order to normalize the wave function, such that you can do part B.

mike232 said:
For part b,,, I just operated on psi with the Hamiltonian and because all I had were constants, I got zero... which is boring if true, but I think isn't the answer I am looking for.
That is indeed not the correct approach. What you have to do is decode what
mike232 said:
B) What is the lowest energy of the electron that will be measured in this state?
actually means. What possible results can you get if you measure the energy of the electron?

DrClaude said:
It is only asking for A, in order to normalize the wave function, such that you can do part B.That is indeed not the correct approach. What you have to do is decode what

actually means. What possible results can you get if you measure the energy of the electron?
Don't you find the energy by using the Hamiltonian operator? If this isn't I have no idea what to do with this.

What do the postulates of QM say about measurements?

The only measurable results are the eigenvalues associated with the operator... but I don't know how that helps because zero is a valid result.

mike232 said:
The only measurable results are the eigenvalues associated with the operator...
Yes, and given the wave function, what is the probability of finding a given eigenvalue?

Do I find the expansion coefficent?

Yes. You basically need to calculate the coefficients, starting from the ground state and going up in energy, to find the first one that is not 0. Then you can get the lowest possible measured energy.

DrClaude said:
Yes, and given the wave function, what is the probability of finding a given eigenvalue?

So
DrClaude said:
Yes. You basically need to calculate the coefficients, starting from the ground state and going up in energy, to find the first one that is not 0. Then you can get the lowest possible measured energy.
OK so I haven't done the work yet. But just intuition it's something like the second state?

mike232 said:
OK so I haven't done the work yet. But just intuition it's something like the second state?
Good intuition. The ground state is even with respect to the center of the box, while ψ is odd, so the integral will be zero. You should get a non-zero coefficient with the first excited state (n = 2).

1. What is a Quantum 1D box?

A Quantum 1D box refers to a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined within a one-dimensional space, such as a particle moving along a line or a one-dimensional potential well.

2. How is the normalization constant obtained for a Quantum 1D box?

The normalization constant for a Quantum 1D box can be obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation for the wave function of the particle within the box and then applying the normalization condition, which states that the integral of the squared wave function over all space must equal 1.

3. What is the significance of the normalization constant in the Quantum 1D box?

The normalization constant in the Quantum 1D box is a mathematical factor that ensures the wave function of the particle is properly normalized, meaning that it represents a physical probability distribution and that the total probability of finding the particle within the box is equal to 1.

4. How does the expression for the normalization constant in the Quantum 1D box relate to the length of the box?

The expression for the normalization constant in the Quantum 1D box is directly proportional to the square root of the length of the box. This means that as the length of the box increases, the normalization constant also increases, indicating that the particle has a higher probability of being found within a larger space.

5. Can the expression for the normalization constant be used for any potential well in the Quantum 1D box?

Yes, the expression for the normalization constant can be used for any potential well in the Quantum 1D box as long as the potential is finite and the wave function satisfies the boundary conditions at the edges of the well.