1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology Lab Abstract: Photosynthesis

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Biology Lab Abstract: Photosynthesis

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am having trouble understanding how increased transmission is an indication to photosynthesis occurring. My teacher gave us the prediction for this lab: if photosynthesis is happening then transmittance goes up.

I know transmittance is light that passes through a substance, and the transmitted light was converted to electrical energy in our experiment so that we could measure it. The data showed that the Chloroplasts with light shining on them had a higher transmittance %.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My idea is that a higher % transmittance means that more of the light detected by the machine is transmittance, which would mean that more light is being absorbed for photosynthesis. A lower % transmittance means less light is absorbed because less of the light is transmitted light? This whole thought process is confusing me.

My issue, I guess, is: shouldn't all the light detected by the machine be transmitted light?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did you set up your lab? Did you use an indicator dye? If so, which one and how does it work (i.e., does it change color if a reaction occurs, and what is that change?)
  4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    yea, thats it, we used DPIP as an electron acceptor, i didn't even think about it, but it does change from blue to clear as it is reduced...can't believe i missed that, thanks for your help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?