Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Coherence in Transmembrane Proteins?

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    I am presently in a Biophysics lab, and am formulating a project wrt transmembrane protein association in lipid bilayers (based on the 4 stage model of membrane protein folding, i.e. partitioning, folding, insertion, association).

I was wondering if anyone on here has heard of any decent literature (or is knowledgeable on the topic personally) on quantum coherence in such a system? I am a physics/math undergrad but have floated to the more biophysical realm as of late, and I know there are some articles on coherence in biomolecules, but I am having difficulty finding anything concrete--and I don't want to waste too much time on this aspect if there simply isn't enough literature out there right now for me to move forward (this isn't a large scale funded project).

Thank you in advance for any information/links/musings you can offer.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    As far as I know quantum coherence is not a factor in biological systems. Roger Penrose that it was involved in thinking, but few agree. Mark Tegmark wrote that such a thing was very unlikely because at biological temperatures coherence is too short-lived to have an effect on anything else.

But I'm no expert on this and would not like to discourage you from looking into it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook