What is a 'Quantum Coherence'?

In summary, quantum coherence is a phenomenon in which particles or systems are able to maintain a synchronized state, despite being separated by large distances. This coherence is a key feature of quantum mechanics and allows for the potential of quantum computing and cryptography. It is achieved through the delicate balance of superposition and entanglement, allowing for particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously and interact with each other instantaneously. Maintaining quantum coherence is crucial for the success of quantum technologies and research in this field continues to explore ways to extend and control coherence times.
TimWilliams87
TL;DR Summary
I'm unsure of what it means for a system or state to have various 'quantum coherences' which can be selected.
I have recently been reading some stuff on quantum information in the physics literature which refers to 'a mechanism by which a measurement in A determines quantum coherences in B', where A and B are subsystems of a larger system.

I am aware of the meaning of the terms 'decoherence' and 'coherent state', but could someone clarify for me what it means for a system to have several 'quantum coherences' which can be chosen from?

Also in a paper 'On the role of complex phases in the quantum statistics of weak measurements', I have seen the following quotation:
''As early as 1995, Steinberg pointed out that weak measurements provide a natural definition of conditional probabilities in quantum mechanics. However, the mathematically consistent definition of such weak conditional probabilities results in complex numbers originating from the quantum coherences of the initial and final states''.

Again, could someone explain what it means for the initial and final states to have 'quantum coherences'?

Physics news on Phys.org
TimWilliams87 said:
I have recently been reading some stuff on quantum information in the physics literature

Please give specific references.

TimWilliams87 said:
Also in a paper

This paper?

https://arxiv.org/abs/1104.0062
Please give actual links.

The reference is the paper you mention https://arxiv.org/abs/1104.0062, the other quotation was from correspondence with someone working in the area so I cannot really reference it.

1. What is quantum coherence?

Quantum coherence refers to the phenomenon where subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons, can exist in a state of superposition, meaning they can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding quantum phenomena.

2. How is quantum coherence different from classical coherence?

Classical coherence refers to the property of waves, where they maintain a constant phase relationship with each other. In quantum coherence, particles can exist in multiple states at once, whereas in classical coherence, waves do not have this capability.

3. What is the importance of quantum coherence?

Quantum coherence is essential for understanding and harnessing quantum phenomena, such as entanglement and superposition, which have potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It also plays a crucial role in the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic levels.

4. How is quantum coherence measured?

Quantum coherence can be measured using various techniques, such as quantum state tomography, which involves measuring the state of a quantum system through a series of measurements. Other methods include interferometry and quantum entanglement measurements.

5. What are some challenges in maintaining quantum coherence?

One of the main challenges in maintaining quantum coherence is the interaction of particles with their surrounding environment, which can cause decoherence, where the particles lose their quantum properties and behave classically. This is a significant obstacle in the development of quantum technologies and is an active area of research in quantum physics.