Quantum Entanglement and the Big Bang

In summary: You only get knowledge of the sum of B and C.In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of entanglement and its potential implications for local realism theory. It was also mentioned that multiple particles can become entangled, but the resulting knowledge from measuring one particle may not be solely about that particle, but rather the sum of all entangled particles.
atlucas
I don't know how to shorten this question. Deep breath:

If particles that interact physically and become separated are entangled, then once this was proven through experimentation wouldn't local realism theory have to be false since the universe as we know it arose from a singularity?

I know we are unfamiliar with the physical laws at a singularity, but in that case maybe I could say just large chunks of the universe are entangled as things "cooled down" and matter formed. And I suppose the heart of my question is: wouldn't that imply that most "natural" particles - particles that exist outside of a lab - are already entangled with other, perhaps distant, particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
atlucas said:
I don't know how to shorten this question. Deep breath:

If particles that interact physically and become separated are entangled, then once this was proven through experimentation wouldn't local realism theory have to be false since the universe as we know it arose from a singularity?

Welcome to PhysicsForums, atlucas!

As you describe it, the answer is no. Those conditions alone would not be enough to disprove local realism, as this could result from local conditions even after the universe separated. You still need something like Bell's Theorem.

Okay, the follow up question: Can multiple particles become entangled? Say if two electrons share a bonding orbital in... carbon dioxide, then they are split up in some chemical process, are those electrons still entangled? Or would they become disentangled with one another and instead entangled with their new orbital "partners?"

It is my understanding that the wave function collapses only from/after observation, so by that postulate you could entangle a series of particles with one another, observe one, and make conclusions about the states of all the others in the series, yes?

atlucas said:
Okay, the follow up question: Can multiple particles become entangled? Say if two electrons share a bonding orbital in... carbon dioxide, then they are split up in some chemical process, are those electrons still entangled? Or would they become disentangled with one another and instead entangled with their new orbital "partners?"

It is my understanding that the wave function collapses only from/after observation, so by that postulate you could entangle a series of particles with one another, observe one, and make conclusions about the states of all the others in the series, yes?

I am not much knowledgeable in QM ,yet I am sure DrChinese or any other respectable users will give you an in depth answer.
However , From what I have gathered so far entanglement of photons is preferred /convenient than say an electron,due to variables involved.Often particles in decay tend be entangled due to conservation laws of physics so I don't see why it'd be wrong to make assumptions of the other 'unobserved entangled counterpart/s' since we know that conservation comes into play.

-ibysaiyan

atlucas said:

Yes, you can entangle multiple particles and this has been demonstrated. However, the result is not quite as you might expect. Assume you have 3 particles: A, B and C and these are entangled with some observable such that:

A+B+C=0

If you later find A=+1, then you now know that B+C=-1. So you do not get certain knowledge of B alone from measuring A.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This connection is known as an entangled state and it exists even if the particles are separated by large distances.

2. How does quantum entanglement relate to the Big Bang?

The concept of quantum entanglement plays a crucial role in understanding the early universe and the Big Bang. It is believed that at the very beginning of the universe, all matter was entangled in an extremely dense and hot state. As the universe expanded and cooled, this entanglement gradually broke down, leading to the formation of individual particles and the universe as we know it today.

3. Can quantum entanglement be observed?

Yes, quantum entanglement has been observed in several experiments. One of the most famous examples is the EPR (Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen) paradox, which demonstrated that entanglement exists between two particles even when they are separated by large distances. Other experiments, such as the Bell test, have also confirmed the existence of quantum entanglement.

4. How does quantum entanglement impact our understanding of the universe?

Quantum entanglement has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe, particularly in the fields of cosmology and quantum mechanics. It has provided insights into the early universe and the formation of large-scale structures, as well as the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It has also played a role in the development of technologies such as quantum computing.

5. Is quantum entanglement the same as teleportation?

No, quantum entanglement is not the same as teleportation. While both concepts involve the transfer of information between two particles, teleportation involves the transfer of a specific quantum state from one particle to another, while entanglement involves a connection between two particles that allows them to share information instantaneously.