Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Entanglement on two particles

1. Nov 30, 2013 #1
    Hi.

Imagine a system of two particles, A and B, where they are entangled.
    I've been studying a little bit of quantum entanglement and I understand how measurement of one property of a particle A leads us to find indirectly the value of that property to the particle B. My question is: if I act on one of the particles, let it be A, so that the particle changes in some way, will the particle B also suffer that same change? Or is quantum entanglement strictly related to measurements?

Thanks.
    D.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2013 #2
    If a pair of photons are prepared with entangled polarization states entanglement persists as long as there is nothing in the way of either photon which disturbs the polarization state. Such a disturbance might be a collision of either of the photons with another particle or absorption by a measuring device.

4. Nov 30, 2013 #3
    And is there anyway to send a message via morse code with a pair of entangled particles? Let's imagine we're dealing with two particles of symmetric spins separated by a large distance. If I manage to change the spin of one of the particles will the other one's spin also change?

5. Nov 30, 2013 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

There is no way of sending a message.

You measure the spin, you get a spin-up result, you know the other guy's measurement will yield the opposite result. But when he gets spin-down, for all he knows he's made the first measurement, you haven't made a measurement yet, and when you do you'll get spin-up. Likewise, when you get your spin-up result, you have no way of knowing whether he's sending you a message ("I just got a spin-down result") or whether you're making the first measurement.

6. Nov 30, 2013 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

And there's no way to control in advance whether you get spin-up or spin-down, and thereby originate a signal, any more than you could with a monkey pounding randomly at the key of a Morse-code telegraph machine.

7. Dec 1, 2013 #6
    yes, the first measure is pure chance, 50/50 you'll get either one. But the entangled measurements ALWAYS correlates to the first measure....

See the first two sections here for some introductory insights......and some of the controversies surrounding this phenomena:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted