Quantum entanglement phenomenon

In summary, the biologist is interested in understanding quantum entanglement and wonders if there are any hypotheses or theories that explain how this phenomenon works. While quantum entanglement has been predicted by standard quantum theory, the underlying mechanism is still unknown. Various interpretations of quantum mechanics attempt to explain this, but there is currently no way to experimentally distinguish between them. Additional information can be found on Wikipedia's page about quantum entanglement.
federete
Hi there,

Question from a biologist with very poor background in physics, but willing to understand quantum physics. I think quantum entanglement shocks everyone, even if it has been proven right. I would love to know if there is any hypothesis or crazy theory out there to explain why or how this phenomenon actually happens. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
federete said:
I think quantum entanglement shocks everyone, even if it has been proven right. I would love to know if there is any hypothesis or crazy theory out there to explain why or how this phenomenon actually happens. Thanks!

:welcome:

I guess "shocking" is in the eye of the beholder. :smile:

Generally, quantum entanglement is predicted by standard quantum theory. It was predicted to exist in the early 1930's, even before EPR. Bohm presented a more detailed version of spin 1/2 entanglement circa 1950.

What is not known is the underlying "physical" mechanism by which a separated system is able to stay in sync. A variety of so-called "interpretations" of quantum mechanics attempts to explain that side of things. There is currently no way to experimentally distinguish one from the other.

Likes federete

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle cannot be described without considering the state of the other particle, even if they are physically separated.

2. How does quantum entanglement occur?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two or more particles interact and become entangled. This can happen through various processes, such as collisions or interactions with other particles.

3. What is the significance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is significant because it allows for particles to be connected in a way that classical physics cannot explain. It also has potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation.

4. Can quantum entanglement be observed in everyday life?

No, quantum entanglement is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and cannot be observed in everyday life. It requires highly controlled experimental conditions to be observed.

5. How is quantum entanglement being studied and utilized in scientific research?

Scientists are studying quantum entanglement through experiments in quantum mechanics and using it to develop new technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum communication. It is also being used to further our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.