Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum entanglement - what attributes are entangled?

1. Aug 11, 2013 #1
    Hello there!

I´ve tried searching the internet but seems to be in need of a heavy book for this answer. I stumbled upon this forum and decided I would love to ask some Experts here :-)
    Basically what attributes are quantum entangled?

I know that spin is, but is fx kinetic energy? Are energy states entangled? If one decomposes, does the other as well?

And I need a Little explanation as well :-)

Quantum entanglement basically mean that two particles are entangled to a net-zero sum, where if a value on particle A moves up, particle B moves down. - correct?
    And are there other aspects to quantum entanglement in terms of how particles are entangled?

Just need an explanation in Words, not math (though I know that will give a more thorough understanding, but also takes a lot longer for you guys to explain)

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2013 #2
    Quantum entanglement is an explanation of the maths, not one that is universally accepted. You can enjoy the benefits of quantum mechanics without subscribing to that point of view.

4. Aug 11, 2013 #3
    Hi gadong!

I know - but because it explains some math it leads to some assumptions of how Things Work. To the best of my knowledge there´s been experiments where you entangle two particles, which actually Works.
    I would mainly like to know which attributes of a particle is entangled? Fx the locality/position of the particle is not entangled, I know spin is entangled - but what other attributes of a particle is entangled? Velocity? Temperature/kinetic energy?

5. Aug 12, 2013 #4

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is a terrible comment. Much like saying general relativity is not universally accepted.

The fact is that entanglement is predicted by QM, and experiments confirm those predictions. Bell's Theorem rules out most explanations outside of QM. Entanglement IS generally accepted and has been.

6. Aug 12, 2013 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

7. Aug 12, 2013 #6
    Sorry, I accept that criticism.

8. Aug 12, 2013 #7

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would like to add this comment to the OP's question as to WHAT can be entangled.

Basically, almost anything observable can be entangled!

It is NOT limited to spin, momentum, position, energy, etc. You can entangle electron holes (is that entangling nothing?), combinations of observables, even combinations of different particles. Usually, some Bell Inequality is derived and violated by prediction of QM, and sometimes experiments are done to demonstrate same. A few esoteric examples:

Entanglement of Two Atoms using Rydberg Blockade
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.5328

Electron-Hole Entanglement in a Quantum Spin Hall Insulator
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.1207

Etc.

I would estimate on the order of 1,000 different somethings have been shown to be entangled at least in principle. As to the everyday existence of entangled objects: every quark in normal matter is entangled with its 2 siblings; and every electron in the lowest shell is entangled with its partner in that shell. So basically all matter exists in some entangled state almost all of the time.

9. Aug 12, 2013 #8
    Thank you Vanheese for the links - I had already read those pages though :-)
    What DrChinese wrote was exactly the answer I was looking for - thanks a bunch!

Looking forward to delving further into the World of QM!
    I´ll definitely stay on this forum!

Cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook