Quantum field and mediating particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of treating forces as exchange of particles in quantum field theory. The energy-time uncertainty principle is used to explain how the range of a force can be limited if the mediating particle has mass. While this works for electromagnetic forces with massless photons, the question arises about gravity and whether there should be a massless mediating particle. The conversation suggests looking into articles on Quantum Gravity, which explains that gravitons are the mediating particles in an Effective Field theory of gravity and are spin 2 and massless. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the person's thoughts were not far off and thanks for the information.
alivedude
I'm not sure if I posted this in the right category, it's something that came up just after the quantum mechanics section so I just chose this one.

I've come across something that I simply can not find an answer for on my own. I'm taking Modern Physics course and the last chapter is some introductory to Quantum field theory and they explain how you can treat forces as exchange of particles. From the energy-time uncertainty principle they go on and explain that if the mediating particle has mass, the range of the force is limited. This suits well if I think about electromagnetic forces. Since photons are massless the force should reach infinitely far, and indeed that is the case.

But what about gravity? Shouldn't there be some massless mediating particle in this case as well since gravitational force also reaches infinitely far or is it something that I misunderstood? I can't find anything about it in my very limited book. I'm only a second year undergrad so don't the stuff I read isn't that advanced.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at articles on Quantum Gravity. In an Effective Field theory of gravity the mediating particles are gravitons which are spin 2 and massless.

cosmik debris said:
Look at articles on Quantum Gravity. In an Effective Field theory of gravity the mediating particles are gravitons which are spin 2 and massless.

Wow, now I found loads! At least I wasn't way off in my thoughts :) Thank you very much.

1. What is a quantum field?

A quantum field is a theoretical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the fundamental building blocks of the universe, including subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. What are mediating particles?

Mediating particles, also known as gauge bosons, are particles that carry the fundamental forces of nature, such as the electromagnetic force or the strong nuclear force. They are responsible for mediating interactions between other particles.

3. How are quantum fields and mediating particles related?

Quantum fields are the underlying framework for mediating particles. These fields are constantly fluctuating and interacting with each other, giving rise to the different types of mediating particles and their corresponding forces.

4. Can quantum fields and mediating particles be observed?

While quantum fields and mediating particles cannot be directly observed, their effects can be observed through experiments and calculations in quantum mechanics. Scientists use sophisticated tools and techniques to study and understand these concepts.

5. How do quantum fields and mediating particles impact our daily lives?

Quantum fields and mediating particles play a crucial role in the functioning of the universe, including the formation of matter and the behavior of fundamental forces. Our understanding of these concepts has led to advancements in technology, such as the development of transistors and lasers, which are used in everyday devices like computers and cell phones.