Quantum Field Theory: 3-4 Equation Steps Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding how a 4 number equation is derived from a 3 number equation. The use of images for equations is discouraged and the conversation moves on to discussing the use of delta functions in the equations. The conversation ends with a request for clarification and a mention of potential issues with the use of certain factors.
Adwit
TL;DR Summary
I had been trying to understand second quantization for few months from an easy book "Quantum Field Theory Demystified". But couldn't succeed. So, I have posted my problem.
I understand how do 3 no. equation come from 1 & 2 no. equation. But I am struggling to understand how do 4 no. equation come from 3 no. equation. Will anyone do the steps between 3 no. equation and 4 no. equation, please ?
oOAfyizG.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
@Adwit, we normally do not allow equations posted as images; that means they cannot be quoted usefully in responses. The PF LaTeX Guide (link at the bottom left of each post window) will help you to use LaTeX to format equations directly in your post.

That said, these equations are admittedly pretty gnarly so I can understand the temptation to use images.

Adwit said:
Will anyone do the steps between 3 no. equation and 4 no. equation, please ?

Look at the delta functions in the third equation. What do they tell you about the integral over ##p^\prime##? (Note that the integral in the third equation should really be a double integral; there is an integral over ##p## and an integral over ##p^\prime##.)

Ok, this is the last time I posted image of calculation. For now, I will write the calculation. Now, can you do the steps between 3 no. equation and 4 no. equation ?

Adwit said:
Ok, this is the last time I posted image of calculation. For now, I will write the calculation. Now, can you do the steps between 3 no. equation and 4 no. equation ?

Step 3 to step 4 is a "simple" application of the delta function. That is much simpler than understanding the equations that have gone before.

You must know what the Dirac delta function ##\delta(p-p')## is?

For what its worth, as far as I can tell there is indeed something funny going on with the factors of ##2\pi## here. If that is indeed the problem the best is probably if you show us what you got.

Likes Demystifier and PeroK

What is Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles and fields at the quantum level. It combines principles from quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the interactions between particles and their corresponding fields.

What are the main equations used in Quantum Field Theory?

The main equations used in Quantum Field Theory are the Klein-Gordon equation, the Dirac equation, and the Maxwell's equations. These equations describe the behavior of quantum fields and their interactions with particles.

What are the steps involved in solving equations in Quantum Field Theory?

The steps involved in solving equations in Quantum Field Theory include setting up the initial conditions, applying the appropriate operators to the fields, and solving for the resulting wavefunctions. This process is repeated for each interaction between particles and fields.

What are the applications of Quantum Field Theory?

Quantum Field Theory has a wide range of applications in physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It is used to study the behavior of particles and fields in various physical systems and has led to significant advancements in our understanding of the universe.

What are the challenges in understanding Quantum Field Theory?

One of the main challenges in understanding Quantum Field Theory is its complexity and mathematical rigor. It requires a strong background in mathematics and physics to fully comprehend its principles and equations. Additionally, the concepts of quantum mechanics and special relativity, which form the basis of QFT, can be counterintuitive and difficult to grasp.