Quantum, finding energy eigenvalue spectrum

In summary, the question is asking to calculate the complete energy eigenvalue spectrum for the Hamiltonian \hat{H}+\hat{H}_1, where \hat{H} is the standard Hamiltonian and \hat{H}_1 is unspecified. It also states to show that the result for the ground state agrees with the one found using perturbation theory, which was determined to be 0. The eigenfunction is given as C*exp(-mwx^2/2h). The conversation then discusses how to approach the question, ultimately leading to the conclusion that the energy of the ground state is shifted by a constant when adding or subtracting a constant from the Hamiltonian, and the effect on the other states and their energies
Chronos000

Homework Statement

The question says for the hamiltonian [tex]\hat{}H[/tex]+[tex]\hat{}H[/tex]1 calculate the complete energy eigenvalue spectrum.
for the ground state show that the result agrees with the one found by the perturbation theory previously.

I'd assume [tex]\hat{}H[/tex] here is just the standard hamiltonian

So previously the energy shift was determined to be 0.

earlier in the question I determined the eigenfunction to be C*exp(-mwx2/2h)

I could just do with a clue as to how to start this question

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're not supposed to use perturbation theory, are you given specific H and H1 to work with?

I'm taking [tex]\hat{}H[/tex] to be the usual -[tex]\hbar[/tex]2/2m d/dx + mw2x2/2

H1 is not specified. It must not matter if the answer is zero right?

sorry i think i misinterpreted the question. H1 is [tex]\lambda[/tex]x.

and i suppose the wavefunction was shown to be of the form I stated above

Your new Hamiltonian is

[tex]\hat{H}' = \hat{H}+\hat{H}_1 = \frac{\hat{p}^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}k\hat{x}^2 + \lambda \hat{x}[/tex]

Start by completing the square to combine the latter two terms.

ok, so i have

[tex]\hat{}p[/tex]2/2m - ([tex]\lambda[/tex]/k)2 + 1/2 k (x + [tex]\lambda[/tex] /k )2

I'm not sure what this has achieved though

What is the effect of the term -(λ/k)2 on the energies and eigenstates?

What does the transformation [itex]x \to x' = x+\lambda/k[/itex] represent?

is (λ/k)^2 just subtracted from the energy of the ground state?

Adding or subtracting a constant from the Hamiltonian will indeed shift the energy of the ground state by that amount, but you can say more than just that. What about the energy of the other states? What happens to the states themselves?

Suppose H is your original Hamiltonian with eigenstates |ϕn> and corresponding energies En. Let H' = H+k. Then H = H'-k. Can you take it from there?

I got it eventually thanks

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions.

What is an energy eigenvalue spectrum?

An energy eigenvalue spectrum is a set of discrete energy levels that a quantum mechanical system can have. These levels are determined by the system's energy eigenvalues, which are the possible values for its total energy.

Why is finding the energy eigenvalue spectrum important?

Understanding the energy eigenvalue spectrum is crucial for predicting the behavior of quantum systems. It allows us to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain energy state and to make predictions about its future behavior.

How do you find the energy eigenvalue spectrum?

To find the energy eigenvalue spectrum of a quantum system, one must solve the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. This involves using mathematical techniques such as eigenvalue analysis and spectral decomposition.

What are some applications of knowing the energy eigenvalue spectrum?

Knowing the energy eigenvalue spectrum has numerous practical applications, such as understanding the electronic structure of atoms and molecules, predicting the behavior of semiconductors in electronics, and developing new materials for energy storage and production.