Quantum: Finding time derivative of momentum operator in terms of V(x)

In summary: Once you have that you can solve for V(x).In summary, Daniel is trying to find one of Ehrenfest's theorems, and is having trouble relating the time derivative of <p> to V(x).
Gza
Hi all, got a little caught up in tonights homework assignment; which basically reads:

Find an expression for [tex]\frac {d<\hat{p}>} {dt} [/tex] in terms of V(x).

I had a few ideas from my math methods for theoretical phys. class i took a few quarters ago, involving applying the derivative operator to the already derived momentum operator, but so far this class hasn't really tackled any kind of math involving working inside hilbert spaces, so i think a strictly calc based approach may be necessary here. Any hints would be appreciated here, ty you all for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes this is usually done using just calc. So for starters write down the integral for <p> and take it's time derivative. If you've done the proof on how the time derivative of psi squared is zero you'll know what to do after that.

So you're trying to find one of Ehrenfest's theorems, right...? From the form of the potential, you've already chosen the Hilbert space to be [itex] L^{2}\left(\mathbb{R}\rihgt) [/itex] and now remember the definition of the average of an observable on the quantum state [itex] \psi (x) [/itex].

Daniel.

inha said:
Yes this is usually done using just calc. So for starters write down the integral for <p> and take it's time derivative. If you've done the proof on how the time derivative of psi squared is zero you'll know what to do after that.

I've actually worked out the the derivative for psi squared (in the derivation of the momentum operator using calc), and it turned out not to be zero; I got this:

[tex]
\newcommand{\pd}[3]{ \frac{ \partial^{#3}{#1} }{ \partial {#2}^{#3} } }
\pd{(\Psi^*\Psi)}{t}{} = \frac{i\hbar^2}{2 m}\left( \Psi^*\pd{\Psi}{x}{2} - \pd{\Psi^*}{x}{2}\Psi \right) [/tex]

Taking this into the integral for the computation of the derivative of the expectation value of position (classically the velocity,) we end up recognizing the momentum operator we all know and love (multiplying by an m of course). Now the problem i have is with the actual time derivative of <p>, and how to relate it to V(x). I'm not exactly sure how to start it. Thanks for the help again.

Last edited:
I expressed myself poorly. That's indeed nonzero. I meant to referr to conservation of probability or that the that the wave function stays normalized as time passes. So if you integrate that over all space it goes to zero.

Anyways, as in doing that you'll have now to solve the time derivatives of psi from Schrödingers equation and plug those into the integral for <p> and then use the approperiate boundary conditions.

1. What is the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical representation of the momentum of a particle in a quantum system. It is denoted by the symbol p and is defined as the derivative of the particle's wave function with respect to its position.

2. How is the momentum operator related to the time derivative?

In quantum mechanics, the time derivative of the momentum operator is equal to the negative of the potential energy operator. This can be written as dP/dt = -dV/dx, where P represents the momentum operator and V(x) represents the potential energy function.

3. What is the significance of finding the time derivative of the momentum operator in terms of V(x)?

Finding the time derivative of the momentum operator in terms of the potential energy function allows us to gain a better understanding of the dynamics of a quantum system. It helps us determine how the system evolves over time and how the potential energy affects the momentum of the particles.

4. How can the time derivative of the momentum operator be calculated?

The time derivative of the momentum operator can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. By plugging in the appropriate values for the momentum and potential energy operators, the time derivative can be solved for.

5. Can the time derivative of the momentum operator be used to make predictions about a quantum system?

Yes, the time derivative of the momentum operator can be used to make predictions about a quantum system. By understanding how the momentum changes over time, we can determine the future behavior of the system and make predictions about the position and momentum of particles in the system.