Quantum Fluctuations and Big Bang

In summary, the conversation discusses the theory that quantum fluctuations created the universe through the Big Bang. However, the issue arises of how these fluctuations could exist before the Big Bang when there was no space. The source of this theory is a forum discussion on the internet, which may not be a reliable source. It is also mentioned that if this theory is true, there must be something beyond our observable universe where quantum mechanics can be applied.
bgq
Hi,

I have read that quantum fluctuations have created our universe through the Big Bang. The issue that I didn't understand is that as far as I know quantum fluctuations are properties of space. How could these fluctuations exist before the Big Bang while there was no space before the Big Bang? According to my understandings, the space is a part of our universe that have been created by the Big Bang.

Thanks to any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have read that quantum fluctuations have created our universe through the Big Bang.
This is just a speculation - we do not know if it is true. Also, "I have read" is a bad source - where did you read it?

If it is true, there has to be something more than the universe we see - at least something where quantum mechanics can be applied in some way.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
This is just a speculation - we do not know if it is true. Also, "I have read" is a bad source - where did you read it?

If it is true, there has to be something more than the universe we see - at least something where quantum mechanics can be applied in some way.

Actually I have read it in discussion on a forum on the internet.
Clearly, this is not a trustful resource :smile:

Anyway, thank you very much.

What are quantum fluctuations?

Quantum fluctuations are random variations or fluctuations in the energy levels of subatomic particles. These fluctuations are an inherent part of quantum mechanics and are present even in a vacuum.

How do quantum fluctuations relate to the Big Bang?

Quantum fluctuations played a crucial role in the early universe by causing small variations in the density of matter. These fluctuations eventually led to the formation of galaxies and other large structures in the universe.

Can quantum fluctuations explain the origin of the universe?

While quantum fluctuations played a significant role in the early universe, they alone cannot explain the origin of the universe. The Big Bang theory, along with other theories such as inflation, provide a more comprehensive explanation for the beginning of the universe.

What evidence supports the existence of quantum fluctuations in the early universe?

One of the main pieces of evidence for quantum fluctuations in the early universe is the cosmic microwave background radiation. This radiation is a remnant of the intense heat and energy of the Big Bang and shows slight variations in temperature, which can be attributed to quantum fluctuations.

Could quantum fluctuations have led to the formation of multiple universes?

Some theories, such as the multiverse theory, suggest that quantum fluctuations could have caused the universe to split into multiple universes, each with its unique set of physical laws. However, this is still a topic of debate and has not been proven.