Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Foam vs Zero Point Energy

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    If you're familiar with these concepts, can you elaborate on: what quantum foam is, what zero point energy is, the difference between them, and their relationship ?

Seems like a loaded question, and it is, but I'm hoping to save a lot of time in research by simply asking knowledgeable folk to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you started with reading introductory articles such as Wikipedia etc? And then we can discuss the questions you might run into while reading such.

4. Jun 9, 2009 #3
    Indeed. Okay then at this point, my only question is for you to critique my shot at deriving a general explanation. Here goes:

Quantum foam is a general term to describe a microscopic infinite turbulence of random electromagnetic wave fluctuations (also known as vaccum fluctuations or virtual particles). From which it is postulated that all matter is manifested from.

Zero point energy is the residual energy which prevails throughout all space (and even what was thought to be empty space). In laboratories upon removing gas & temperature from an isolated system (which effectively emulates the deepest darkest regions of space) - it is revealed that energy is still evident. That is what is called Zero point energy.

So the difference is that quantum foam is the manifestation of matter (infinite bubbles of patterns which can materialize into complex structures) while ZPE is the energy source; the flow of energy; the infinite sea of energy from which the foam flows.

Their relationship makes up the fabric of our universe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook