Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Gravity made too simple.

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    I will work with supernatural units in which [itex]\hbar = c = 1[/itex] and further, [itex]\pi = e = -1 = 1[/itex].
    Using these units, and some minor calculation we see that the Lagrangian is:

[tex]\mathcal{L} = 1[/tex]

This not only simplifies matters, but leads to remarkably accurate predictions. For instance, if we assume that the S matrix is given by

[tex]S = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}S^{(n)}[/tex]

where

[tex]S^{(n)} = 9 (.1)^{n+1}[/tex]

Then we have [itex]g = 0.99\overline{9}[/itex], in remarkable agreement with the experimental value of 1, the error being only [itex]0.0\overline{0}1[/itex].

What's more, by setting 0 = 1 we have the following grand unification of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

[tex](i\not{\partial} - m)\psi = 0 = 1 = 0 = R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2}g_{\mu\nu}R - 8GT_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

In my next paper, I will investigate the implications of the further simplification [itex]\frac{1}{2} = 8 = 1[/itex].

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, I admit- you got me. I actually wrote out a response pointing out all the errors when, while trying to decide how to respond to the last line, it finally hit me- this is a joke!

4. Mar 13, 2013 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Funny! I came to this thread immediately after watching a Samantha Bee episode on Daily Show, and it's right in the same vein.
    She was explaining the terms used to describe the gathering of Cardinals to elect a Pope.

5. Mar 14, 2013 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

There is no single pope but a landscape of popes; you find the correct vacuum state by catholic reasoning which requires 3 = 1; from this equation you can derive both the existence and the non-existence of god, so it's a theory of everything.

6. Mar 14, 2013 #5
    only if you have the correct ......... wait for it........cardinality

7. Mar 15, 2013 #6

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Don't forget:

[tex]1+2+3+\cdots =-\frac{1}{12}[/tex]

Now everything makes sense.

:-D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook