Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Harmonic Oscillator Operator Commution

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    Quantum Harmonic Oscillator Operator Commution (solved)

EDIT
    This was solved thanks to CompuChip! The entire post is also not very interesting as it was a basic mistake :P No need to waste time

This is not homework (I am not currently in college :P), but it is a mathematical question I'm stuck and I would greatly appreciate help.

The Quantum harmonic oscillator Operator method uses:

[tex]\widehat{a}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}}[/tex]([tex]\widehat{x}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{i\widehat{p}}{m\omega}[/tex])
    and
    [tex]\widehat{a}[/tex][tex]^{+}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}}[/tex]([tex]\widehat{x}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{i\widehat{p}}{m\omega}[/tex])

It also says that:
    [[tex]\widehat{a}[/tex],[tex]\widehat{a}[/tex][tex]^{+}[/tex]] = 1

[[tex]\widehat{a}[/tex],[tex]\widehat{a}[/tex][tex]^{+}[/tex]] = [tex]\widehat{a}[/tex][tex]\widehat{a}[/tex][tex]^{+}[/tex] - [tex]\widehat{a}[/tex][tex]^{+}[/tex][tex]\widehat{a}[/tex]

I keep ending up with 2!

Here is a "proof"
    http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node169.html
    But they have simply multiplied [tex]\widehat{a}[/tex][tex]\widehat{a}[/tex][tex]^{+}[/tex]

I feel like I cannot continue(self-study) until I see how I'm wrong. Please help!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you're doing something wrong :P
    For us to see what exactly, you could post your calculation (either scanned or - preferably - nicely TeXed)

I don't see where they did that. I just see them using the bilinearity of the commutator operation, i.e.
    [r x, y] = r [x, y] (when r is a real number and x, y are operators - sorry, don't feel like putting hats and stuff)
    [x + y, z] = [x, z] + [y, z] (where x, y, z are operators)
    together with anti-symmetry ([x, y] = -[y, x]).

The proof looks really straightforward to me, can you maybe try to explain which step exactly is giving the problem?

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    Thank you so much for the reply.:smile:
    I believe I am wrong, because QM indeed works! I just "need" to see how.

What was written where this sentence is, had a very stupid mathematical mistake. :)

I cannot see where I am wrong.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  5. Mar 28, 2010 #4
    Holy crap.
    I see my giant fail.

For some reason I turned things into commutators that shouldn't be them.
    Thank you so much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook