Quantum Immortality without MWI?

• I
  • Thread starter Physicuser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mwi Quantum
In summary, according to the "Many Worlds Interpretation" of Quantum Mechanics, people could potentially live forever if they believe in this theory. This theory states that there are an infinite number of universes and each of these universes has a different set of possibilities. It is possible for a person to be living in a different universe than the one they are currently living in. This theory does have some weaknesses though, such as the fact that people are certain to die after a certain age, and that the probability of experiencing different events is equally improbable.
Physicuser said:
However, could this work even if MWI is not true?
I had a e-mail conversation with Max Tegmark on this issue. He agreed that not only MWI, but other interpretations also imply quantum immortality.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
all of those branches will have the same classical dynamics
Wrong. There are branches which are highly improbable.

Anixx said:
I had a e-mail conversation with Max Tegmark on this issue. He agreed that not only MWI, but other interpretations also imply quantum immortality.
I guess that's the case closed then.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Motore
Anixx said:
There are branches which are highly improbable.

Highly improbable in the sense of very finely tuned initial conditions, yes. But the dynamics from the initial conditions, whatever they are, is the same in every branch.

PeroK said:
I guess that's case closed then.

No, the fact that Tegmark makes the claim doesn't necessarily mean it's correct. I would like to see an actual paper laying out the argument.

PeterDonis said:
No, the fact that Tegmark makes the claim doesn't necessarily mean it's correct. I would like to see an actual paper laying out the argument.
If the man says he has an email, how can you argue with that?

• Haha
Likes romsofia
PeroK said:

An email isn't a textbook or peer-reviewed paper.

PeterDonis said:
Highly improbable in the sense of very finely tuned initial conditions, yes. But the dynamics from the initial conditions, whatever they are, is the same in every branch.
No. There are branches with improbable dynamics as well. There are branches with all possible dynamics.

PeroK said:
Of course, he just expressed his opinion.

Anixx said:
There are branches with improbable dynamics as well.

Why? The laws of physics are the same in all the branches.

PeterDonis said:
Why? The laws of physics are the same in all the branches.
Not probabilistic laws though. A "weight" of a branch is proportional to its probability, but even for the least-probable outcomes there are branches.

Anixx said:
Not probabilistic laws though.

Please read the thread. These issues have already been discussed.

Likes Motore
Anixx said:

This is not what he has said publically and without seeing his exact words it's hard to reconcile with his quotes on the wikipedia page, where he says QI is not real even given MWI.

But it doesn't matter much since neither is a rigorous argument but more of a casual opinion.