Quantum Information and Computing

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's desire to pursue a PhD in Quantum information/computing and their lack of knowledge beyond what was covered in lectures. They are advised to read Chuang and Nielsen's book, which covers the basic topics in QM and provides a good introduction to QM for QC. The speaker is reassured that as long as they have a basic understanding of algebra, they should be able to understand most of the book.
Johnahh
I have just finished my 2nd year of undergraduate study, which had the first pass of QM in it. I want to do a PhD in Quantum information/computing. What can I learn in my own time to get me closer to understanding QM information/computing? Currently I only know what we covered in lectures, and the well known concepts in QM.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Find a copy of Chuang and Nielsen's book. It is getting a bit old so the experimental chapters are out of date, but the theory hasn't changed and will cover most of the basic topics (although will obviously not go into concepts that have emerged more recently, e.g. quantum annealing and surface codes)

f95toli said:
Find a copy of Chuang and Nielsen's book. It is getting a bit old so the experimental chapters are out of date, but the theory hasn't changed and will cover most of the basic topics (although will obviously not go into concepts that have emerged more recently, e.g. quantum annealing and surface codes)
Thanks, Just checked, its available from the university library, I will pick it up and start ready. Will this be accessible to me? or will I need further QM exposure?

You should be able to understand most of it with justsome basic QM. In fact, the book contains quite a good introduction to QM (at least the bit you need for QC) so as long as you know some basic algebra etc you should be OK.

1. What is quantum information and computing?

Quantum information and computing is a field of study that combines concepts from quantum mechanics and computer science to understand and manipulate information at the quantum level. It involves using the principles of quantum mechanics to process and store information, which has the potential to greatly increase the speed and efficiency of computing.

2. How does quantum computing differ from classical computing?

Quantum computing differs from classical computing in the way information is processed and stored. Classical computers use binary bits (0s and 1s) to represent information, while quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) that can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to perform certain calculations much faster and with less energy than classical computers.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum information and computing?

Quantum information and computing has the potential to impact a wide range of fields, including cryptography, drug discovery, materials science, and artificial intelligence. It could also lead to more efficient and accurate simulations of complex systems, such as weather patterns or chemical reactions.

4. What are the challenges in developing quantum computers?

One of the main challenges in developing quantum computers is maintaining the delicate quantum state of qubits, which are easily disrupted by external factors such as heat or vibrations. Another challenge is scaling up quantum systems to a large enough size to perform useful calculations, as the technology is still in its early stages and requires precise and expensive equipment.

5. How can quantum information and computing impact the future?

Quantum information and computing has the potential to revolutionize many industries and fields of study. It could lead to breakthroughs in medicine, finance, and technology, as well as provide solutions to currently unsolvable problems. It could also change the way we think about information and computing, opening up new possibilities for data storage and communication.