1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Quantum Information and Computing

1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    I have just finished my 2nd year of undergraduate study, which had the first pass of QM in it. I want to do a PhD in Quantum information/computing. What can I learn in my own time to get me closer to understanding QM information/computing? Currently I only know what we covered in lectures, and the well known concepts in QM.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Find a copy of Chuang and Nielsen's book. It is getting a bit old so the experimental chapters are out of date, but the theory hasn't changed and will cover most of the basic topics (although will obviously not go into concepts that have emerged more recently, e.g. quantum annealing and surface codes)

4. Apr 12, 2016 #3
    Thanks, Just checked, its available from the university library, I will pick it up and start ready. Will this be accessible to me? or will I need further QM exposure?

5. Apr 12, 2016 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should be able to understand most of it with justsome basic QM. In fact, the book contains quite a good introduction to QM (at least the bit you need for QC) so as long as you know some basic algebra etc you should be OK.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted