Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Quantum jitter vs thermal jitter

1. Apr 19, 2016 #1

naima

Gold Member

In this book Susskind writes that if thermal jitter can burn our nerves, quantum jitter cannot. He explains why:
    "Even though quantum jitters can be incredibly energetic, they cause no pain. Why? there is no way to borrow energy from the ground state. And quantum jitter is what is left over when the system is in its absolute minimum ground state."

I used to think that quantum fluctuations exist for all states. Could anyone elaborate this point?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2016 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

You are right, quantum fluctuations exist for all states. But for non-ground states there may be additional (e.g. thermal) fluctuations as well.

4. Apr 19, 2016 #3

naima

Gold Member

Can a quantum jitter be partly thermal? Is it a yes/no property and how to define when a quantum jitter is thermal?

5. Apr 19, 2016 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Yes, a quantum jitter can be partly thermal. In this case the state of the system is a mixed thermal state proportional to ##e^{-\beta H}##,
    where ##H## is the Hamiltonian.

6. Apr 19, 2016 #5

naima

Gold Member

So with a complex ##\beta## we should factorize the state in a thermal and a non thermal part?

7. Apr 19, 2016 #6

naima

Gold Member

Is there a textbook in which a state is described with its two parts (thermal and non thermal)? Is there a generalized Schrodinger equation?

8. Apr 20, 2016 #7

naima

Gold Member

9. Apr 20, 2016 #8

Demystifier

Science Advisor

No.

10. Apr 20, 2016 #9

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I would not talk about thermal and non-thermal fluctuations. I would talk about mixed-state and pure-state fluctuations. Thermal fluctuations are nothing but a very special case of mixed-state fluctuations. Evolution of pure states is described by Schrodinger equation. A generalization to mixed states is not so simple, so let me just say that one approximate approach is based on the Lindblad equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted