1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Quantum mec.) Probability of measuring a given value of an observable

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the following hamiltonian and the observable [itex]\widehat{B}[/itex]
    4zsXGft.png

find the possible energy levels ([itex]a[/itex] is a real constant). If the state is in it's fundamental state what's the probability of measuring [itex]b_{1}[/itex], [itex]b_{2}[/itex] and [itex]b_{3}[/itex]?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To find the energy levels I simply calculated the eigenvalues of the matrix. I got:

[itex]E_{1}=E_{0}-\sqrt{2}a[/itex]
    [itex]E_{3}=E_{0}[/itex]
    [itex]E_{2}=E_{0}+\sqrt{2}a[/itex]

Next I found the eigenvector associated with the eigenvalue [itex]E_{1}[/itex] to find the fundamental state. I got:
    [itex]v_{1}=\frac{1}{2}(1,\sqrt{2},1)[/itex]

I don't know how to solve it from here tho.. Am I doing something wrong?
    The solutions are 1/4, 1/2 and 1/4, respectively.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Jalo. All looks good. You are almost there. (If the answer were a snake it would bite you. :smile:)

Note that you can write ##v_1 = \frac{1}{2}(1, \sqrt{2}, 1)## as ##v_1 = \frac{1}{2}(1, 0, 0) + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(0, 1, 0) + \frac{1}{2}(0, 0, 1)##.

What do the individual states ##(1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0),## and ##(0, 0, 1)## represent? Note that you are using a basis where B is diagonal.

4. Feb 4, 2014 #3
    Thank you very much! I was so close, should have figured it out! :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted