Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mecanics unifing with General Relativity in 5D

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    Hello,
    I didn't know where to post this since it deals with both topics, but I thought here would be the best choice.

So I have a research paper I have to do in Physics this semster and its about me researching somebodys research they're currently doing or just finshed. So I've been looking around and found an article in Science Direct (I'll post the link at the end) that deals with unifing QM and GR in the fifth dimension. The only problem is this is only my 3 semestor of introductory physics and this stuff is really complicated.

With that being said however I just have to discuss the research they're doing/did and not really show all the calculations they did. So I know it will be a great challenge to even understand what's going on, but I think I could handle it.

The abstarct for Paul S. Wesson's article is:
    "In 5D, I take the metric in canonical form and define causality by null-paths. Then spacetime is modulated by a factor equivalent to the wave function, and the 5D geodesic equation gives the 4D Klein–Gordon equation. These results effectively show how general relativity and quantum mechanics may be unified in 5D."

And I've been trying to pick apart this and when I got to the 4-D Klein-Gordon equation it got tricky. I roughy understand the concept of how its a relativistic version of the Schrödinger equation, and it's the equation of motion for a feilds spinless quanta. However what gets me is how the particle can go forward and backward in time? I just can't seem to wrap my head around that concept.

So if anyone could help me with that or any part of the article I greatly appericate it.

-Adam G.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You left the link out.

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please note that a proper way of doing a reference citation is:

Author/s, Journal Name, Volume, Page Number, Year.

This is the full set of info that allows anyone who have access to such journal to find the paper.

Zz.

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4
  6. Sep 15, 2011 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The link gives the abstract only. To get the article, you have to buy it. Personal note - as a mathematician, the physics is over my head.

7. Sep 16, 2011 #6
    That is *very* true, are there no simpler topics you'd prefer to research? It would take more than a semester to catch you up on all the physics you should know properly in order to read a paper on a unification theory (not to mention the math you need to have).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook