1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics, a free particle prepared as a gaussian wavepacket

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem is given in the attached image. I'm currently trying to work out question one.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{- \infty}^{ \infty} \Psi (x,0) e^{-ikx} dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so the first thing I did was to normalise it, but then I realised it was already normalised, so there's no need to do so there.

Using the above relevant equation:

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \int_{- \infty}^{ \infty} e^{-ax^2} e^{ik'x} e^{-ikx} dx[/tex]

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \int_{- \infty}^{ \infty} e^{-ax^2 + ik'x -ikx} dx[/tex]

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \int_{- \infty}^{ \infty} e^{-[ax^2 + (ik - ik')x]} dx[/tex]

Using the hint, ## ax^2 + (ik - ik')x = u^2 - \dfrac{(ik - ik')^2}{4a} ## where ## u = \sqrt{a} \left( x+\dfrac{(ik-ik')}{2a} \right)##
    And therefore ## du = \sqrt{a} dx ##

So then the equation becomes:

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \int_{x = - \infty}^{ x = \infty} exp - \left( u^2 - \dfrac{(ik - ik')^2}{4a} \right) dx[/tex]

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \int_{x = - \infty}^{ x = \infty} e^{-u^2} e^{\dfrac{(ik - ik')^2}{4a}} \dfrac{du}{\sqrt{a}}[/tex]

[tex]\phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{2 \pi} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{a}} e^{\dfrac{(ik - ik')^2}{4a}} \int_{x = - \infty}^{ x = \infty} e^{-u^2} du [/tex]

Now how do I change the bounds of integration? If there were still from negative infinity to positive infinity, I'd get ## \sqrt{ \pi} ## for the integral part, so is that right?

I feel like it's not from negative infinity to infinity though.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2013 #2
    The bounds look correct, as your definition of u goes toward -∞ as x goes to -∞, and ∞ as x goes to ∞ (provided that [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] is taken to be positive, if it's not, the integral just becomes negative and the [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] in front of the integral will make it positive again).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  4. Apr 28, 2013 #3
    Okay thanks.

I have done question 2 and this is what I got:

[tex]\Psi (x,t) = \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{2 \sqrt{2a}} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right) ^{\frac{1}{4}} exp \left( \dfrac{(ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}]} \right)}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}}}[/tex]

where exp is the exponential function.
    I asked a friend and he said he also got something this messy for the answer.

However, I run into trouble when I try to do the expectation values of ## x ## and ## x^2 ## for question 3.
    I remember my lecturer saying something about a way of solving this (if you know ##<x>## and ## \sigma_x ## then you can work out ## <x^2> ## without having to evaluate 2 more gaussian integrals.

So to work out ##<x>## I use:

[tex]<x> = \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} \Psi (x,t)^* (x) \Psi (x,t)dx[/tex]

And of course I can extract out the constants so I get:

[tex]<x> = \left( \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{2 \sqrt{2a}} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right) ^{\frac{1}{4}} }{\sqrt{\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}}} \right)^2 \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} x \cdot exp \left( \dfrac{(ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}]} \right) exp \left( \dfrac{(-ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} - \frac{iht}{2m}]} \right)[/tex]

[tex]<x> = \left( \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{2 \sqrt{2a}} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right) ^{\frac{1}{4}} }{\sqrt{\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}}} \right)^2 \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} x \cdot exp \left( \dfrac{(ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}]} + \dfrac{(-ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} - \frac{iht}{2m}]} \right)[/tex]

I don't really know what to do now because I have imaginary's on the top and bottom of the fraction. It doesn't really seem like a gaussian integral.

Anyone know what I can do or if there's an easier/better way to do this (my lecturer said I can do all of question 3 on one page if I knew the shortcuts)? Doing the ## <x^2>## will be similar to this as well I presume.

5. Apr 29, 2013 #4
    huh, how would I got about opening the attachment?

6. Apr 29, 2013 #5
    I don't know, I'm sure I attached it before.

Here it is again... hopefully it works

Attached Files:

7. Apr 29, 2013 #6
    I think your lecturer was talking about finding [itex]<x^2>[/itex] with the relation σ=[itex]\sqrt{<x^2> - <x>^2}[/itex]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  8. May 1, 2013 #7
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  9. May 1, 2013 #8
    Yea I've already solved it... I just have to transform this:

[tex]\left( \dfrac{\dfrac{1}{2 \sqrt{2a}} \left( \dfrac{2a}{\pi} \right) ^{\frac{1}{4}} }{\sqrt{\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}}} \right)^2 \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} x \cdot exp \left( \dfrac{(ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} + \frac{iht}{2m}]} + \dfrac{(-ix - \frac{2k'}{4a})^2}{4[\frac{1}{4a} - \frac{iht}{2m}]} \right)[/tex]

into the form [tex]\dfrac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-(x- \mu)^2}{2 \sigma ^2}}[/tex]

using a few algebra tricks and compare co-efficients. This is just the general equation for a normal distribution.

The function is already normalised and so ## \mu ## is the expectation value of x and ## \sigma_x ^2 ## is the variance and I can use those 2 things to work out ## <x^2> ##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted