Quantum mechanics, adding a phase factor

In summary, the time-evolution of a wave function in quantum mechanics can be affected by adding a constant C0 to the potential energy. This results in a phase factor of e^{-i \frac{C_0 t}{\hbar}} being multiplied to the wave function. This phase factor can be derived by solving the time-dependent Schrödinger equation and integrating with respect to time. The addition of this phase factor affects the wave function in the same way as the original one, but with the extra phase factor. This can be seen through the calculation of the expectation value of a dynamical variable, which involves integrating both wave functions and comparing the results.
Cogswell
Here's the question:

1. In classical mechanics, we know that the evolution of a system, that is the trajectories of the particles and objects, does not depend on where we chose the xero-point of the potential energy. Here we analyse what happens in quantum mechanics. Assume that you add a constant C0 to the potential energy of an arbitrary potential V(x)

Show that the wave function now differs from the one you would get without the C0 added by having a phase factor [tex]e^{-i \frac{C_0 t}{\hbar}}[/tex] multiplied to it.
How will this phase-factor affect the expectation value of a dynamical variable?

So I was thinking of using: [tex]\Psi (x,t) = \psi (x) \varphi (x)[/tex]
to solve it.

Can someone guide me through this (like with a hint or 2)? I'm quite confused about quantum mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with an eigenstate ##\psi## of a Hamiltonian ##\hat{H}##, with eigenenergy ##E##. What is the time evolution of ##\psi##? (This should be in your textbook.)

Then, arbitrarily shift the zero of energy by ##C_0##. How is the time evolution of ##\psi## affected?

Then, calculate the expectation value of an operator ##\hat{A}##,
$$
\langle \hat{A} \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi(x,t)^* \hat{A} \psi(x,t) dx
$$
for both wave functions (energy shifted and not shifted), and compare.

DrClaude said:
Start with an eigenstate ##\psi## of a Hamiltonian ##\hat{H}##, with eigenenergy ##E##. What is the time evolution of ##\psi##? (This should be in your textbook.)

Then, arbitrarily shift the zero of energy by ##C_0##. How is the time evolution of ##\psi## affected?

Then, calculate the expectation value of an operator ##\hat{A}##,
$$
\langle \hat{A} \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi(x,t)^* \hat{A} \psi(x,t) dx
$$
for both wave functions (energy shifted and not shifted), and compare.

Sorry, I'm not getting what you mean. Maybe I should have posted this in the Introductory Physics section of this forum.

In my textbook, it says I can use a separation of variables to solve the Schrodinger equation.
[tex]\Psi (x,t) = \psi (x) + \varphi (t) [/tex]

[tex]i \hbar \dfrac{\partial \Psi (x,t)}{\partial t} = -\dfrac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \dfrac{\partial ^2 \Psi (x,t)}{\partial x^2} + V \Psi (x,t)[/tex]

[tex]i \hbar \psi (x) \dfrac{\partial \varphi (t)}{\partial t} = -\dfrac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \dfrac{\partial ^2 \psi (x)}{\partial x^2} \varphi (t) + V \psi (x) \varphi (t)[/tex]

And then dividing through by ##\psi (x) + \varphi (t) ## I will get:

[tex]i \hbar \dfrac{1}{\varphi (t)} \dfrac{\partial \varphi (t)}{\partial t} = -\dfrac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \dfrac{1}{\psi (x)} \dfrac{\partial ^2 \psi (x)}{\partial x^2} + V[/tex]

It then uses a separation constant E to separate out the left and right hand sides (since one depends on time and the other depends on position).

[tex]E = -\dfrac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \dfrac{1}{\psi (x)} \dfrac{\partial ^2 \psi (x)}{\partial x^2} + V[/tex]

So I guess what you're saying is to multiply everything by ## \psi (x) ## whch will give me:

[tex]E \psi (x) = -\dfrac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \dfrac{\partial ^2 \psi (x)}{\partial x^2} + V \psi (x)[/tex]

And the right hand side can be defined as the Hamiltonian operator ## \hat{H} ## with an eigenstate ## \psi (x) ##

[tex]E \psi (x) = \hat{H} \psi (x)[/tex]

And the time evolution of ## \psi (x) ## is constant because it is only dependent on position and not time?

"Then, arbitrarily shift the zero of energy by C0. How is the time evolution of ψ affected?"
What do you mean? I'm confused as to where to go from here.
Do I add C0 to V which will give me:
[tex](E + C_0) \psi (x) = -\dfrac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \dfrac{\partial ^2 \psi (x)}{\partial x^2} + (V+C_0) \psi (x)[/tex]
and then solve this second order differential equation?

You're getting along fine. You just need to go back to the time-dependent Schrödinger equation (TDSE) to get the full wave function:

Cogswell said:
[tex]i \hbar \dfrac{1}{\varphi (t)} \dfrac{\partial \varphi (t)}{\partial t} = -\dfrac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \dfrac{1}{\psi (x)} \dfrac{\partial ^2 \psi (x)}{\partial x^2} + V[/tex]

It then uses a separation constant E to separate out the left and right hand sides (since one depends on time and the other depends on position).

[tex]E = -\dfrac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \dfrac{1}{\psi (x)} \dfrac{\partial ^2 \psi (x)}{\partial x^2} + V[/tex]

[...]

[tex]E \psi (x) = \hat{H} \psi (x)[/tex]
Indeed, for ##\psi (x)## an eigenfunction of ##\hat{H}##, the separation constant ##E## is the energy. Use this to solve for ##\varphi(t)## in the equation above.

Cogswell said:
"Then, arbitrarily shift the zero of energy by C0. How is the time evolution of ψ affected?"
What do you mean? I'm confused as to where to go from here.
Do I add C0 to V which will give me:
[tex](E + C_0) \psi (x) = -\dfrac{\hbar ^2}{2m} \dfrac{\partial ^2 \psi (x)}{\partial x^2} + (V+C_0) \psi (x)[/tex]
and then solve this second order differential equation?
Yes, it corresponds to that equation, but you don't need to actually solve it. Again go back to solving for ##\varphi(t)##, and see how the full, time-dependent wave function chnages with this ##C_0## added to the energy.

Right so with the time dependent part,

[tex]E = i \hbar \dfrac{1}{\varphi (t)} \dfrac{\partial \varphi (t)}{\partial t}[/tex]

If I re-arrange:

[tex]\dfrac{E}{i \hbar} = \dfrac{1}{\varphi (t)} \dfrac{\partial \varphi (t)}{\partial t}[/tex]

And the integrate with respect to (t) I'll get:

[tex]\dfrac{E}{i \hbar} t = \ln(\varphi (t))[/tex]

And then re-arranging I get:

[tex]\varphi (t) = e^{\dfrac{-i E t}{ \hbar}}[/tex]

So if the separation constant E is the energy, I'll get my other differential equation with C0 added to it:

[tex]E + C_0 = i \hbar \dfrac{1}{\varphi (t)} \dfrac{\partial \varphi (t)}{\partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{E + C_0}{i \hbar} = \dfrac{1}{\varphi (t)} \dfrac{\partial \varphi (t)}{\partial t}[/tex]

[tex]\dfrac{E + C_0}{i \hbar} t = \ln (\varphi (t))[/tex]

And then re-arranging:

[tex]e^\dfrac{-iEt -iC_0 t}{\hbar} = \varphi (t)[/tex]

Which becomes ##e^\dfrac{-iEt}{\hbar} e^\dfrac{-iC_0 t}{\hbar} = \varphi (t)##

This is just like the original one, but with the phase factor of ##e^\dfrac{-iC_0 t}{\hbar}## added to it. So I guess that's the answer?

With the second part of the question: "How will this phase-factor affect the expectation value of a dynamical variable?"

Does it mean to calculate ##<x> = \int \varphi (t)^* (x) \varphi (t) dx ## and compare the one with and without the C0?

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons, and their effects on the macroscopic world.

What is a phase factor in quantum mechanics?

A phase factor in quantum mechanics is a mathematical term that describes the relative phase difference between two quantum states. It is represented by a complex number and plays a crucial role in the calculations and predictions of quantum phenomena.

Why is adding a phase factor important in quantum mechanics?

Adding a phase factor is important in quantum mechanics because it allows for the description and understanding of various quantum phenomena, such as interference and entanglement. It also helps to explain the probabilistic nature of quantum systems and their measurements.

How do we add a phase factor in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a phase factor is added by multiplying a complex number to the quantum state or wavefunction. This can be done using mathematical operations such as complex conjugation and matrix multiplication.

What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics and phase factors?

Quantum mechanics and phase factors have numerous practical applications, such as in quantum computing, cryptography, and medical imaging. They also play a crucial role in understanding and developing technologies such as transistors, lasers, and superconductors.