Quantum Mechanics, Angular momentum, Spin

So the formula I gave you was for two arbitrary values j1 and j2. The formula you were using j=l \pm s is the special case when j1=l and j2=s. So you know now how to find all possible values of j for arbitrary j1 and j2. Try to find a relation between the two formulas.In summary, the total angular momentum of a particle with orbital angular momentum l (vector) and spin angular momentum s (vector) is given by j = l + s (vector). The eigenvalues of j^2, l^2 and s^2 (vectors) are j(j + 1)ħ^2, l(l + 1)ħ^2 and
mistergrimes

Homework Statement

The total angular momentum of a particle with orbital angular momentum l (vector) and spin angular momentum s (vector) is j = l + s (vectors). The eigenvalues of j^2, l^2 and s^2 (vectors) are j(j + 1)ħ^2, l(l + 1)ħ^2 and s(s + 1)ħ^2 respectively. State the possible values of j for l = 1, s = 1/2

What is the general rule which tells you how many values of j to expect for arbitrary l, s?
What basic information about the fine structure of hydrogen does all this tell us?

Homework Equations

j = l + s

The Attempt at a Solution

If l = 1 then l (vector) may take values (+ or -) ħ (2)^0.5
If s = 0.5 then s (vector) may take values (+ or -) ħ (3/4)^0.5

=> j = (+ or -) ħ (2)^0.5 (+ or -) ħ (3/4)^0.5

How do I know that the directions of these vectors (l and s) will line up, so I can just add their magnitudes? Also, surely the expression I have found won't necessarily satisfy
j^2 = j(j + 1)ħ^2.

Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I can tell there seems to be some confusion about what the vectors and what the quantum numbers are. The orbital angular momentum is given by the vector-operator whose entries are the operators Lx,Ly,Lz => [itex]\boldsymbol{L}=(L_x,L_y,L_z)[/itex]. The same goes for the spin angular momentum just replace L with S and the total angular momentum J=L+S. Therefore L^2 and S^2 are not vectors. Proof: [itex]\boldsymbol{L}^2=\boldsymbol{L} \cdot \boldsymbol{L}=L_x^2+L_y^2+L_z^2 [/itex]. This is the sum of 3 different operators squared not a vector!

The quantum numbers are j,l and s these are scalars so there is no "lining up" to speak of. This means that given l=1 and s=1/2 l+s=3/2.

So if j,l and s are scalars then the equation j=l+s for l=1 and s=1/2 yields?

Another thing that seems to go wrong is the use of the eigenvalue equations.

Example:
[tex]\boldsymbol{L}^2 |l,m_l\rangle =l(l+1){\hbar}^2|l,m_l\rangle \Rightarrow \boldsymbol{L}^2 |1,m_l\rangle =2{\hbar}^2|1,m_l\rangle [/tex]

You then seem to conclude [itex]\boldsymbol{L}^2=2{\hbar}^2 \rightarrow L=\pm \sqrt{2} \hbar[/itex]. This is is not allowed. L^2 is an operator that when acting on an orbital momentum eigenstate yields the same as multiplying said eigenstate by L^2's eigenvalue. This does not mean [itex]L^2=2{\hbar}^2[/itex]

Try to calculate the eigenvalues of S^2 and J^2 now correctly.

Since deriving the general rule which tells you which values of j to expect for arbitrary l and s is not that easy and quite cumbersome I have a feeling that you're supposed to know it so I will give you the formula. The values j takes on are [itex]j=|j_1-j_2|,|j_1-j_2|+1,...,j_1+j_2.[/itex]

Try to find all values of j now.

OK so if l = 1, s = 1/2, j=l+s = 3/2.

The eigenvalue of S^2 is therefore s(s+1)ħ^2 = (3/4)ħ^2

and the eigenvalue of J^2 is therefore j(j+1)ħ^2 = (15/4)ħ^2

I read on hyperphysics that j = l (+ or-) s, which would give possible values of j of 1/2 and 3/2 for l = 1, s = 1/2, and would imply that there are 2 possible values for j unless s = 0, in which case there is only one possible value of j. Is this true? Thank-you.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/qangm.html

Your eigenvalues and j values are correct. Be careful with the [itex]j=l \pm s[/itex] formula though, although it works in this case. In general [itex]j=j_1 \pm j_2[/itex] is not true and you will have to use the formula I listed in my previous post. For example if j1=2 and j2=2 what would the possible values of j be?

OK so if j1=2 and j2=2, the formula you give would give the possible values of j as 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4, but in the case j1 = 1, j2= 1/2 this list of values is much shorter, giving just 1/2 and 3/2.

Thank-you very much for your help.

Yep that's correct!

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how particles interact with each other and how they behave as both particles and waves.

2. What is angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotation and movement of a particle around a fixed point. In quantum mechanics, it is represented by the operator L and its measurement is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values.

3. How does spin factor into quantum mechanics?

Spin is a fundamental property of particles that does not have a classical counterpart. It describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle and plays a crucial role in the structure and behavior of atoms, molecules, and other subatomic particles.

4. What is the relationship between spin and angular momentum?

Spin and angular momentum are related but distinct concepts in quantum mechanics. While spin is a property of particles, angular momentum is a physical quantity that can be measured. Spin contributes to the total angular momentum of a particle, but it is not the only factor.

5. How is quantum mechanics applied in real-world technologies?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including in the fields of electronics, computing, and telecommunications. Some examples include transistors, lasers, and superconductors, all of which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics to function. Quantum mechanics also plays a crucial role in modern technologies such as MRI machines and GPS systems.