1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics, Angular momentum, Spin

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The total angular momentum of a particle with orbital angular momentum l (vector) and spin angular momentum s (vector) is j = l + s (vectors). The eigenvalues of j^2, l^2 and s^2 (vectors) are j(j + 1)ħ^2, l(l + 1)ħ^2 and s(s + 1)ħ^2 respectively. State the possible values of j for l = 1, s = 1/2

What is the general rule which tells you how many values of j to expect for arbitrary l, s?
    What basic information about the fine structure of hydrogen does all this tell us?

2. Relevant equations

j = l + s

3. The attempt at a solution

If l = 1 then l (vector) may take values (+ or -) ħ (2)^0.5
    If s = 0.5 then s (vector) may take values (+ or -) ħ (3/4)^0.5

=> j = (+ or -) ħ (2)^0.5 (+ or -) ħ (3/4)^0.5

How do I know that the directions of these vectors (l and s) will line up, so I can just add their magnitudes? Also, surely the expression I have found won't necessarily satisfy
    j^2 = j(j + 1)ħ^2.

Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

From what I can tell there seems to be some confusion about what the vectors and what the quantum numbers are. The orbital angular momentum is given by the vector-operator whose entries are the operators Lx,Ly,Lz => [itex]\boldsymbol{L}=(L_x,L_y,L_z)[/itex]. The same goes for the spin angular momentum just replace L with S and the total angular momentum J=L+S. Therefore L^2 and S^2 are not vectors. Proof: [itex]\boldsymbol{L}^2=\boldsymbol{L} \cdot \boldsymbol{L}=L_x^2+L_y^2+L_z^2 [/itex]. This is the sum of 3 different operators squared not a vector!

The quantum numbers are j,l and s these are scalars so there is no "lining up" to speak of. This means that given l=1 and s=1/2 l+s=3/2.

So if j,l and s are scalars then the equation j=l+s for l=1 and s=1/2 yields?

Another thing that seems to go wrong is the use of the eigenvalue equations.

Example:
    [tex]\boldsymbol{L}^2 |l,m_l\rangle =l(l+1){\hbar}^2|l,m_l\rangle \Rightarrow \boldsymbol{L}^2 |1,m_l\rangle =2{\hbar}^2|1,m_l\rangle [/tex]

You then seem to conclude [itex]\boldsymbol{L}^2=2{\hbar}^2 \rightarrow L=\pm \sqrt{2} \hbar[/itex]. This is is not allowed. L^2 is an operator that when acting on an orbital momentum eigenstate yields the same as multiplying said eigenstate by L^2's eigenvalue. This does not mean [itex]L^2=2{\hbar}^2[/itex]

Try to calculate the eigenvalues of S^2 and J^2 now correctly.

Since deriving the general rule which tells you which values of j to expect for arbitrary l and s is not that easy and quite cumbersome I have a feeling that you're supposed to know it so I will give you the formula. The values j takes on are [itex]j=|j_1-j_2|,|j_1-j_2|+1,...,j_1+j_2.[/itex]

Try to find all values of j now.

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    OK so if l = 1, s = 1/2, j=l+s = 3/2.

The eigenvalue of S^2 is therefore s(s+1)ħ^2 = (3/4)ħ^2

and the eigenvalue of J^2 is therefore j(j+1)ħ^2 = (15/4)ħ^2

I read on hyperphysics that j = l (+ or-) s, which would give possible values of j of 1/2 and 3/2 for l = 1, s = 1/2, and would imply that there are 2 possible values for j unless s = 0, in which case there is only one possible value of j. Is this true? Thank-you.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/qangm.html

5. Apr 7, 2009 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Your eigenvalues and j values are correct. Be careful with the [itex]j=l \pm s[/itex] formula though, although it works in this case. In general [itex]j=j_1 \pm j_2[/itex] is not true and you will have to use the formula I listed in my previous post. For example if j1=2 and j2=2 what would the possible values of j be?

6. Apr 7, 2009 #5
    OK so if j1=2 and j2=2, the formula you give would give the possible values of j as 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4, but in the case j1 = 1, j2= 1/2 this list of values is much shorter, giving just 1/2 and 3/2.

Thank-you very much for your help.

7. Apr 8, 2009 #6

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Yep that's correct!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook