Deriving the Hamiltonian of a system given the Lagrangian

astroholly
Homework Statement
Derive the Hamiltonian, H([q][/1], [q][/2], [p][/1], [p][/1]), of a system that has the Lagrngian, L(q_1, q_2, \dot{q_1}, \dot{q_2}) = \dot{q_1}^2 + 0.5 \dot{q_2}^2 + 3q_1^2 + \dot{q_1} * \dot{q_2}
Relevant Equations
H(q_1, q_2, p_1, p_2) = sum over i (p_i \dot{q_i}) - L

L(q_1, q_2, \dot{q_1}, \dot{q_2}) = \dot{q_1}^2 + 0.5 \dot{q_2}^2 + 3q_1^2 + \dot{q_1} * \dot{q_2}
I have found the Hamiltonian to be ##H = L - 6 (q_1)^2## using the method below:

1. Find momenta using δL/δ\dot{q_i}
2. Apply Hamiltonian equation: H = sum over i (p_i \dot{q_i}) - L 3(q_1)^2. Simplifying result by combining terms
4. Comparing the given Lagrangian to the resulting Hamiltonian I found H =\dot{q_1}^2 + 0.5 \dot{q_2}^2 + \dot{q_1} * \dot{q_2} - 3q_1^2 = L - 6(q_1)^2 This is wrong because my Hamiltonian should be in terms of generalised coordinate and momentum only: H(q_1, q_2, p_1, p_2). What am I neglecting?

Attachments

• 2021.jpeg
    2021.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the equations for ##p_i## you could find ##\dot{q_i}##. Substituting these everywhere, you get the expression in terms of ##q_i## and ##p_i## only.

Likes vanhees71 and PhDeezNutz
^^^ That

The Hamiltonian is supposed to be a function of just the ##q_i##'s and ##p_i##'s so once you find the conjugate momenta via

##p_i = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}## you need to re-arange and solve for each of the ##\dot{q}_i##'s and then plug it into

##H = \sum_{i=1}^{2} p_i \dot{q}_i - L##

You need to re-express ##L## in terms of the phase space variables ##q_i##'s and ##p_i##'s as well....after all that is the "second part of the hamiltonian"

Likes vanhees71 and Hill

1. How do you derive the Hamiltonian of a system given the Lagrangian?

To derive the Hamiltonian of a system given the Lagrangian, you can follow these steps: 1. Write down the Lagrangian of the system in terms of the generalized coordinates and their time derivatives. 2. Calculate the conjugate momenta by taking the partial derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the generalized velocities. 3. Express the Hamiltonian as the sum of the conjugate momenta multiplied by the generalized velocities minus the Lagrangian.

2. What is the significance of deriving the Hamiltonian from the Lagrangian?

Deriving the Hamiltonian from the Lagrangian allows us to analyze the dynamics of a system in a different way. The Hamiltonian formulation of classical mechanics provides a more intuitive understanding of the system's behavior and allows for easier application of techniques such as canonical transformations and Hamiltonian dynamics.

3. Can the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian of a system be equivalent?

Yes, the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian of a system can be equivalent in certain cases. This equivalence is known as the Legendre transformation, where the Hamiltonian is obtained from the Lagrangian and vice versa. However, the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian may not always be equivalent, especially in systems with constraints or non-conservative forces.

4. What is the relationship between the Hamiltonian and energy of a system?

The Hamiltonian of a system represents the total energy of the system, which includes both kinetic and potential energy. In classical mechanics, the Hamiltonian is often referred to as the total energy function. Therefore, the Hamiltonian provides a convenient way to analyze the energy conservation of a system and its dynamics.

5. How does the Hamiltonian formalism differ from the Lagrangian formalism?

The main difference between the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalisms lies in the variables used to describe the dynamics of a system. The Lagrangian formalism uses generalized coordinates and their time derivatives to derive the equations of motion, while the Hamiltonian formalism uses generalized coordinates and their conjugate momenta. Additionally, the Hamiltonian formalism provides a different perspective on the system's dynamics, emphasizing energy conservation and canonical transformations.