Quantum mechanics - born approximation algebra

In summary, the conversation is about a calculation involving a^4 and the delta function. The person is questioning if they made a mistake because their answer has a^2 instead of a^4. The expert reassures them that their calculation is correct and points out that the units in their answer are correct. The expert also notes that the calculation looks correct overall.
sxc656
Hi, I get an a^4 whilst the answer has an a^2. Where am i going wrong? Is the delta function throwing a spanner in my work?

see attachments for question/equations and my attempt.

Thanks

Attachments

• q13q.JPG
    q13q.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 444
  • q13a.JPG
    q13a.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your calculation is correct with the a^4. If you check the units in your answer (with p having units of distance^-1.. since it should really be k instead of p), you correctly get units of area. The whole calculation looks ok to me.

pellman said:
I think your calculation is correct with the a^4. If you check the units in your answer (with p having units of distance^-1.. since it should really be k instead of p), you correctly get units of area. The whole calculation looks ok to me.

1. What is the Born approximation in quantum mechanics?

The Born approximation is an approximation method used in quantum mechanics to calculate the scattering of particles by a potential. It is based on the assumption that the scattering potential is weak and the interaction between the particles is short-lived.

2. How is the Born approximation related to the algebra of quantum mechanics?

The Born approximation is related to the algebra of quantum mechanics through the use of operators. In the Born approximation, the scattering amplitude is calculated using the first-order term of the expansion of the wave function in terms of the potential operator. This operator is related to the algebra of quantum mechanics, which describes the mathematical framework for representing and manipulating quantum states.

3. What are the limitations of the Born approximation?

The Born approximation is only applicable for weak scattering potentials and short-range interactions. It also assumes that the particles are non-relativistic and do not interact with each other. In addition, the Born approximation does not take into account higher-order effects, such as multiple scattering events.

4. How is the Born approximation used in practical applications?

The Born approximation is commonly used in practical applications of quantum mechanics, such as in the calculations of atomic and molecular scattering, as well as in the study of nuclear reactions. It is also used in the interpretation of diffraction patterns in x-ray crystallography.

5. Is the Born approximation a valid approximation method in all cases?

No, the Born approximation is not always a valid method in quantum mechanics. In some cases, the potential may be strong, and the scattering may occur over long distances. In such cases, the Born approximation may not accurately predict the scattering behavior, and other techniques, such as the partial wave analysis, may be more appropriate.