Quantum mechanics - creation and annihilation operators

In summary, we are asked to evaluate <n|p^2|n> using the quantised harmonic oscillator and the creation and annihilation operators. We can define p in terms of these operators and use their commutation relations to simplify the expression. We can also apply p to |n> to get <n|p|n> and use the fact that p is self-adjoint to evaluate <n|p^2|n>. The result is n+1/2.
Anabelle37

Homework Statement

Evaluate <n|p^2|n>
where p is the momentum operator for the quantised harmonic oscillator.

Homework Equations

creation operator: a+|n>=sqrt(n+1)|n+1>
annihilation operator: a|n>=sqrt(n)|n-1>

The Attempt at a Solution

the operator p can be defined in terms of the creation and annihilation operators, ie. p = (-i/sqrt{2})(a-a+)

I also wrote down that for the quantised harmonic oscillator p = -(ihbar).(partial derivative wrt x) and so p^2= -(hbar)^2.(partial derivative wrt x)^2

I'm stuck on what to do next? How do I evaluate <n|p^2|n> ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
use the fact that [tex] \left| n \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}} (a^{\dagger})^n \left| 0 \right\rangle [/tex] and then use the commutation relations for the a's

note you will need to workout [tex] [a^n, a^{\dagger}] [/tex] and other similar ones write if you have trouble

What do you get if you apply p to |n>?

[tex]\vert\psi\rangle = \hat{p}\vert n\rangle = \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{a}^\dagger-\hat{a})\vert n\rangle = \cdots[/tex]

Once you have that, you can use the fact that p is self-adjoint so that

[tex]\langle \psi \vert \psi \rangle = \langle n \vert \hat{p}^\dagger \hat{p} \vert n \rangle = \langle n \vert \hat{p}^2 \vert n \rangle[/tex]

You could also do it the way sgd37 suggested, but it's a bit more tedious for this particular problem.

Thank you both! Vela I had done it a longer way and then just realized your way would have been so much easier lol oh well. What does self adjoint mean again?

I got n+1/2 as my answer which i think is correct!?

That's what I got. Don't forget to add the units back in if necessary. You're using the dimensionless version of the momentum operator.

A self-adjoint operator [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] is an operator for which
[tex]\hat{A}^\dagger = \hat{A}[/tex] (there are also some technical requisites, but they shouldn't concern you now). Since all self-adjoint operators have real eigenvalues, they correspond to observables (which have real values when measured). On the other way round, an observable must therefore be self-adjoint, and so the position operator [tex]\hat{x}[/tex] and the momentum operator [tex]\hat{p}[/tex] are postulated to be self-adjoint.

1. What are creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics?

Creation and annihilation operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the creation and destruction of particles. They are represented by the symbols "a" and "a†", respectively, and act on quantum states to create or destroy particles.

2. How do creation and annihilation operators relate to quantum states?

Creation and annihilation operators are used to describe the behavior of quantum states, which represent the possible states of a physical system. The action of these operators on a quantum state results in the creation or destruction of particles, which affects the overall state of the system.

3. What is the significance of the commutation relations for creation and annihilation operators?

The commutation relations for creation and annihilation operators are fundamental to quantum mechanics. They describe how these operators interact with each other and with other quantum operators, and are crucial for understanding the behavior of quantum states and particles.

4. Can creation and annihilation operators be used to describe all types of particles?

Yes, creation and annihilation operators are applicable to all types of particles, including bosons and fermions. However, the specific commutation relations and properties of these operators may vary for different types of particles.

5. How are creation and annihilation operators used in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, creation and annihilation operators are used to describe the behavior of quantum fields, which are theoretical constructs that represent the fundamental particles and forces of nature. These operators allow for the creation and destruction of particles within the quantum field, leading to a more comprehensive understanding of quantum phenomena.