Quantum mechanics, free particle normalization question

In summary, the conversation discusses normalizing a free particle's initial wave function and the confusion over the limits of integration. The solution is to integrate from 0 to ∞ instead of from -∞ to ∞. The reason for this is that the integral is divergent and by integrating from 0 to ∞ and doubling the answer, the correct result is obtained.
Jdraper

Homework Statement

A free particle has the initial wave function

ψ(x,0)=Ae^(-a|x|)

Where A and a are positive real constants.

a) Normalize ψ(x,0)

Homework Equations

1= ∫|ψ|^2 dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to normalize using 1= ∫|ψ|^2 dx from -∞ to ∞. When doing this i obtained

1=(A^2)∫e^(-2a|x|) dx from -∞ to ∞. doing this integral between these limits i get 0 as the value of the integral, which is obviously wrong.

I looked up the answer online as this is a problem from Griffiths, introduction to quantum mechanics. (problem 2.21 in the link)

http://www.thebestfriend.org/wp-content/uploads/IntroductiontoQuantumMechanics2thEdition.pdf

The solution on there says you integrate from 0 to ∞, this is then my question, why do you integrate from 0 to ∞ instead of from -∞ to ∞?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

John

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I get it, is it like the integral of x^3 from -1 to 1 = 0? I'm guessing that's why the factor of 2 appears in the model answer. Anyway thank you, I believe I get it now.

Wait! :eek:

It's not a divergent integral - notice the absolute value sign in the exponent.

Since it's an even function that's being integrated, you can integrate from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] and then double the answer.

Jdraper said:

Homework Statement

A free particle has the initial wave function

ψ(x,0)=Ae^(-a|x|)

Where A and a are positive real constants.

a) Normalize ψ(x,0)

Homework Equations

1= ∫|ψ|^2 dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to normalize using 1= ∫|ψ|^2 dx from -∞ to ∞. When doing this i obtained

1=(A^2)∫e^(-2a|x|) dx from -∞ to ∞. doing this integral between these limits i get 0 as the value of the integral, which is obviously wrong.

I looked up the answer online as this is a problem from Griffiths, introduction to quantum mechanics. (problem 2.21 in the link)

http://www.thebestfriend.org/wp-content/uploads/IntroductiontoQuantumMechanics2thEdition.pdf

The solution on there says you integrate from 0 to ∞, this is then my question, why do you integrate from 0 to ∞ instead of from -∞ to ∞?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

John
You didn't evaluate the integral correctly if you got 0. You shouldn't get different answers which depend on the method you choose to integrate. If you're getting inconsistent results, it means you're making a mistake.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles behave and interact with each other at the quantum level.

2. What is a free particle in Quantum Mechanics?

A free particle in Quantum Mechanics refers to a particle that is not affected by any external forces or interactions. It is described by a wave function that allows us to predict its behavior and location in space.

3. What is normalization in Quantum Mechanics?

Normalization in Quantum Mechanics is a mathematical process used to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible locations is equal to 1. It is an important step in calculating the wave function of a particle.

4. How do we normalize a wave function of a free particle?

To normalize a wave function of a free particle, we use the normalization condition which states that the integral of the absolute square of the wave function over all space must equal 1. This involves solving for the normalization constant and applying it to the wave function.

5. Why is normalization important in Quantum Mechanics?

Normalization is important in Quantum Mechanics because it ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in all possible locations is equal to 1. This allows us to accurately predict the behavior and location of particles at the quantum level, which is essential in understanding the fundamental principles of the universe.