Quantum Mechanics - Ladder Operators

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equality of two linear operators using the projection operator on the right hand side. The suggestion is made to verify the equality for one case and then use the projection operator to prove the original expression. It is also suggested to sandwich the operatorial equality between the states |n> and <n| to show that the operators are equal. It is explained that if the difference of two operators acting on all states equals zero, then the operators are equal.
Tangent87
I'm trying to show that [tex]\sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{1}{m!} (-1)^m {a^{\dagger}}^m a^m =|0 \rangle\left\langle 0|[/tex]

Where a and [tex]{a^{\dagger}}[/tex] denote the usual annihilation and creation operators. The questions suggests acting both sides with |n> but even if I did that and showed LHS=...=RHS then that still doesn't prove the original expression (we can't reverse the implies sign if you see what I mean). So I'm stuck as to what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an equality of operators. The LHS is a linear operator, the RHS is a linear operator as well. On a vector space, two operators are equal iff their domains and codomains are equal. The projection operator on the RHS clearly is defined on all the Hilbert (Fock) space of the problem (as it is bounded), so my guess is that, if you can't show that the LHS is also bounded and defined on all H/F space, at least you could assume that the operatorial relation holds on the domain of the operator in the LHS (which would be equal to the common domain).

So you're only supposed to show that the codomains are equal, which you claim to have done, right ? If not, then write the sum explicitely and use how the operators act on an arbitrary state |n>.

Then you're done, I guess.

bigubau said:
You have an equality of operators. The LHS is a linear operator, the RHS is a linear operator as well. On a vector space, two operators are equal iff their domains and codomains are equal. The projection operator on the RHS clearly is defined on all the Hilbert (Fock) space of the problem (as it is bounded), so my guess is that, if you can't show that the LHS is also bounded and defined on all H/F space, at least you could assume that the operatorial relation holds on the domain of the operator in the LHS (which would be equal to the common domain).

So you're only supposed to show that the codomains are equal, which you claim to have done, right ? If not, then write the sum explicitely and use how the operators act on an arbitrary state |n>.

Then you're done, I guess.

Hmm ok, I'll be honest I didn't really understand most of what you said but if you say all I need to do is verify it for one case then I'll trust you and leave it at that. Thanks for your help.

On a second thought, you can try to <sandwich> the operatorial equality between <n| and |n>. What do you get ?

Tangent87 said:
The questions suggests acting both sides with |n> but even if I did that and showed LHS=...=RHS then that still doesn't prove the original expression (we can't reverse the implies sign if you see what I mean).

This statement is incorrect. If you're given two operators [tex]\hat{A},\hat{B}[/tex] and you can show that

[tex] (\hat{A} -\hat{B}) |n\rangle =0, ~\forall n,[/tex]

where [tex]|n\rangle[/tex] is a complete set of states, then we can conclude that the operators are equal, [tex]\hat{A}=\hat{B}[/tex].

1. What are ladder operators in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy states of a system. They are used to shift an energy state up or down by a specific amount.

2. How are ladder operators related to the quantum harmonic oscillator?

In the quantum harmonic oscillator, the ladder operators represent the creation and annihilation of energy quanta, or "particles", within the system. They allow for the calculation of the energy levels and wavefunctions of the harmonic oscillator.

3. What is the commutator of ladder operators?

The commutator of ladder operators is a mathematical operation that describes how the operators behave when applied in succession. In quantum mechanics, the commutator of ladder operators is used to determine the uncertainty in the measurement of energy.

4. How do ladder operators relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Ladder operators and the commutator are used in quantum mechanics to calculate the uncertainties in these measurements.

5. Can ladder operators be used in other quantum systems besides the harmonic oscillator?

Yes, ladder operators can be used in other quantum systems, such as the quantum spin system. In these systems, the ladder operators represent the spin up and spin down states, and are used to calculate the energy levels and transitions between states.