1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics - probability of finding an electron

1. Jan 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The wave function of an electron in the lowest (that is, ground) state of the hydrogen atom is
    [tex]\psi(r) = (\frac{1}{\pi a_0^3})^{1/2} exp(-\frac{r}{a_0})[/tex]
    [tex]a_0 = 0.529 \times 10^{-10} m[/tex]
    (a) What is the probability of finding the electron inside a sphere of volume 1.0 pm3, centered at the nucleus (1pm = 10-12m)?
    (b) What is the probability of finding the electron in a volume of 1.0 pm3 at a distance of 52.9 pm from the nucleus, in a fixed but arbitrary direction?
    (c) What is the probability of finding the electron in a spherical shell of 1.0 pm thickness, at a distance of 52.9 pm from the nucleus?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]|\psi(r)|^2[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) [tex] volume = 1.0 \times 10^{-36} m^3[/tex]
    using r = 0, the probability is 1.137 * 10-16.
    (b), (c) What equations should I use here?
    [tex]R^2|\psi(r)|^2[/tex] ????
    [tex]4\pi r^2 R^2|\psi(r)|^2[/tex] ????
    but I don't have R...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

a) The probability of finding the electron with a real wave function [tex]\psi[/tex] in a small volume element [tex] d\tau[/tex] is [tex]|\psi|^2 d\tau[/tex]. To obtain the probability of finding the electron inside the sphere, you integrate. Can you take it from here?

4. Jan 30, 2007 #3
    I don't know how to integrate it, but my teacher said although the correct way is to integrate, we won't need to integrate....

5. Nov 12, 2007 #4
    I would like some help on the same problem too... I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. The probability of finding the electron is given by ([tex]\Psi[/tex])[tex]^{2}[/tex]dV... Though I know how to integrate I don't think its necesssary (we're not supposed to use integration). I am solving it by setting r=0 in the wave function, then squaring it, and multiplying it by dV, which I am taking to be 1.0 pm^3. I'm not sure if this is the correct way of doing it. Any help appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?